Tell me about your easy to clean kitchen floor tiles please

(12 Posts)
Mumblechum1 Sat 27-Jun-15 15:33:23

I have stupid floor tiles with little pits in them which are impossible to keep clean.

Looking for new ones which I can just mop over.

Don't really know what colour. Cabinets are cream, walls pale greenish/creamish. Red Aga. Kashmir Gold granite worktops. so basically creamy/beigey/boring colours.

Muchas Gracias mi Amigas grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Jun-15 15:36:55

How do you clean them atm? Might be easier to sort that out grin

atonofwashing Sat 27-Jun-15 15:47:11

Dame is right, might be a good idea to see how you can trouble proof the ones you 've got. Ripping up tiles would be pretty awful, I would imagine.

I spent an arm and a leg on terracotta tiles. I have to admit I have not looked after them well, but they come up lovely when they are clean. And they are virtually bomb proof! I love them, but in know I could have spent less on something else just as nice.
terracotta is porous so they need to be sealed, which is fairly straight forward these days, if a bit of a fiddle. There are plenty of good tile cleaning agents these days. Have you had a look in Tops tiles?

good luck

Mumblechum1 Sat 27-Jun-15 16:31:00

Hmm currently I steam mop them which makes no difference to how manky they look.

I have occasionally scrubbed them on my hands and knees which takes half a day. Once I hired an industrial scrubber and sealed them with some stuff but within a month they looked just as bad. They're some sort of ceramic, not quarry tiles and basically covered in tiny little holes which trap the dirt.

atonofwashing Sat 27-Jun-15 16:39:35

Sounds like a real fiddle.
There may be some sort of filler that can be brushed over them to make them smooth. there are so many things on the market these days.

Would it be a messy job to lift them? Terracotta tiles are a nightmare, because the dust they create is red and goes EVERYWHERE. Like plaster dust. Nightmare.

If you really hate them and can afford to lift them - or tile over them? would that be impossible? then go for it. Dark Grey slate looks lovely. I've seen it in few homes. They would hide the dirt!

HTH?

Mumblechum1 Sat 27-Jun-15 16:45:22

I'm thinking possibly slate over the top as long as it's smooth; I'm done with textured tiles! Just seen a thing called Floor Doctor acid wash which I may try first tho

atonofwashing Sat 27-Jun-15 16:54:40

Good luck!
wallsandfloors.co.uk seem to have a selection of smooth style slate.

Lweji Sat 27-Jun-15 17:00:52

Don't do cream smooth tiles. They show EVERYTHING!

Make sure they have random patterns, even if in fairly light colours. Thing granite or marble patterns.

But, as everything else is so creamy and light, I'd go for a darker colour for contrast and depth.

Like this, but maybe in brown and with a pattern.

Mumblechum1 Sat 27-Jun-15 17:08:01

That dark grey in the pic does look really good smile
I'm going to get it deep cleaned and sealed as suggested but if it doesn't stay clean, will get it replaced in a dark colour.

Life's too short for floor scrubbing!

cathcustard Sat 27-Jun-15 17:43:28

I have this, it doesn't stay clean but you can't see the muck grin
We're rural with dogs and wellies and it looks the same whether you wash it or not.
www.mandarinstone.com/product/_/72/dijon-tumbled-limestone-tile/#.VY7SRmCz6kg

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 28-Jun-15 00:01:27

Get a vileda mop and bucket-the white mop head like an old fashioned one. Boiling water and some bio washing detergent, powder or liquid. Mop and mop again. Then steam if you must but ime steam cleaners are shit.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 28-Jun-15 00:05:38

And get a spray mop for every day spills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now