Title says it all really! Desperate to sell and know we have a hurdle of a steep drive but the sports club next door wants to move and a national developer who has already built a horrid development in town is putting in application for planning for eight more houses on the site.
Have discounted and used the open to offers flash to indicate we could be bargain like (but there is obviously a limit) and have copies of the submitted plans to view.
Apparently it's too much for the yield you could get for buy to let. I have asked the developer directly about our house and the answer was a resounding no. Plans won't definitely be approved and the sports club can't afford to miss a season so it's quite uncertain. I think if we wait 18 months things will have been resolved and it would be ok but we really want to move now! Not loving the selling experience!
Ah. Mind you, is it "want to move" or 'have to'? If the former, then that should make things a bit easier - I would possibly in which case remove the discount - you can always put it back on again should something come up that you want to purchase.
Have to admit the selling bit was fine - again, we wanted, rather than had, to move, so that psychological pressure wasn't there. The buying bit however...I am never moving again unless it's an 100% cash sale!
I don't think a development of 8 houses is a very big deal and will reduce traffic flow. There is, presumably, change of use from commercial to residential to be considered by the planning committee and this might not be approved. Unless the sports club is beautiful, and usually they look like barns, I think the houses, even if you don't like them, won't be an insurmountable problem, especially if they are a decent size. I would prefer the houses next to me.
We really want to! Trying to move near office, have got dd1 into school near office and now want to buy to be near school (and make sure dd2 gets in for sept 2016). School near office is doable and dd2 might get in on criteria 2 so its not a desperate have to but...!
Have found the house we want as well.
I think people will be put off by noise and disruption. Also, very uncertain as final planning application yet to go in (we thought it was submitted last week but not on website yet).
For a bit of a bargain would most mumsnetters overlook living next to a building site for a bit?!
Oh - that's frustrating - only thing I can think of, and it might sound a bit counter-intuitive - would be to de-list for a week or two, then put it back on at a higher price - that way, you have much more leeway for a potential buyer to 'negotiate' a bargain due to the proposed development (obvs. with a hard stop at your current price).