Talk

Advanced search

What would you offer for this house?

(20 Posts)
Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 19:29:43

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49523536.html

Just been to see it - very nicely done but tiny garden and maybe a bit overdeveloped for the size and neighbourhood. What would you offer?

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 20:05:06

Is it an ex LA house on an estate?

Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 20:06:04

Yes - 1920s cottage estate

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 20:09:30

What's it like? No street view available.

Also not much to go on re. Market info on that listing, either.

It looks lovely, from what I can see of it. Is it really only a mile to the station though?

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 26-Jun-15 20:12:33

Can't open link on ipad. Could you post a clicky link please.

MadameJosephine Fri 26-Jun-15 20:18:55

It looks lovely but shock at the price! (Am in NE where £800k would buy a street of ex council houses)

Can you really call a room 2m square a bedroom? Is that allowed?

Northernlurker Fri 26-Jun-15 20:19:29

London prices <<shakes head>>

Ok so they paid £450,000 in 2012 and have presumably spent an arm and a leg on it? I note it's isn't actually four beds. It's 3 plus a box. Everything sold nearby is for considerably less which is I think your point about over development. Is that a railway line at the bottom of the garden or just some electric wires? This one is three beds too really. That's a study not a bedroom on the ground floor! And it's £50 grand less with a lovely garden.....This is on for £95 grand less with a similar though possibly not quite as good layout and a bit bigger garden. Obviously I don't know the area so there may be things I'm not noting but I reckon the 795,000 house is OVER-priced. What do you think the work cost them? Perhaps £150,000? I think I would be offering below £700,000 to start.

Of course you could move North and comfortably buy this my current fave

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 26-Jun-15 20:22:18

you can see it from a distance across the green (through the trees)

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49523536.html

the people who first lived in it would die at the price grin

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 26-Jun-15 20:23:35

(you have to go down Dover House Rd a bit & turn right)

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 20:45:02

The first house linked to by northern is in a very nice location. Quiet, leafy.

bellathebluebell Fri 26-Jun-15 20:52:27

Jesus! I was just moaning to DH about nice 4 bed detached houses with decent gardens costing £700k around here. They look like a complete bargain in comparison.

SE house prices... biscuit

Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 21:05:40

ok back home now. Thanks for posting the full link

It's an overgrown school field behind - the agent said the school only mow it once a year and never use it. The garden is astroturf

I am trying to move very close to my elderly parents - this is a 5 min walk from them and so I know the area quite well. The story is that it's an overseas family who got posted to London, did the house up thinking they were staying a long time and have now been recalled unexpectedly. On Zoopla it describes this price as the owner's estimate

Agent was pretty uninterested so I didn't get anything useful out of her

Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 21:09:30

oh just noticed Northernlurker's other link - yes I viewed that one this evening as well - it's on a modern outcrop of the original estate and doesn't have the same character. Nice enough though

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 21:26:40

I think you're right, it's overdone for the area. It sounds as though you know what's what here and know what to offer!

OliviaBenson Fri 26-Jun-15 22:20:15

Does the overgrown school field have planning permission to build? I'd be worried even if they didn't? An unused field owned by a cash strapped local authority?

Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 22:38:56

Yes I need to understand the issue with that field. My parents back onto it as well and I know it's correct that the school never use it. There's an electricity sub station on one corner and the whole estate is a conservation area and subject to an article 4 direction suspending permitted development rights

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 23:19:43

Which school owns the field?

Alonglongway Mon 29-Jun-15 12:38:35

So it turns out the field belonged to Huntingfield School, which was demolished about 20 years ago. And the land is leased on a peppercorn rent to the council and a private individual for 999 years.

I guess that makes it safe enough from development perspective - though I take OliviaBenson's point.

Belleview Mon 29-Jun-15 12:42:17

Sounds ideal.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 30-Jun-15 15:51:57

£680,000. They make their money back on the refurb and a small amount of equity.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: