Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What would you offer for this house?

(20 Posts)
Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 19:29:43

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49523536.html

Just been to see it - very nicely done but tiny garden and maybe a bit overdeveloped for the size and neighbourhood. What would you offer?

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 20:05:06

Is it an ex LA house on an estate?

Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 20:06:04

Yes - 1920s cottage estate

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 20:09:30

What's it like? No street view available.

Also not much to go on re. Market info on that listing, either.

It looks lovely, from what I can see of it. Is it really only a mile to the station though?

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 26-Jun-15 20:12:33

Can't open link on ipad. Could you post a clicky link please.

MadameJosephine Fri 26-Jun-15 20:18:55

It looks lovely but shock at the price! (Am in NE where £800k would buy a street of ex council houses)

Can you really call a room 2m square a bedroom? Is that allowed?

Northernlurker Fri 26-Jun-15 20:19:29

London prices <<shakes head>>

Ok so they paid £450,000 in 2012 and have presumably spent an arm and a leg on it? I note it's isn't actually four beds. It's 3 plus a box. Everything sold nearby is for considerably less which is I think your point about over development. Is that a railway line at the bottom of the garden or just some electric wires? This one is three beds too really. That's a study not a bedroom on the ground floor! And it's £50 grand less with a lovely garden.....This is on for £95 grand less with a similar though possibly not quite as good layout and a bit bigger garden. Obviously I don't know the area so there may be things I'm not noting but I reckon the 795,000 house is OVER-priced. What do you think the work cost them? Perhaps £150,000? I think I would be offering below £700,000 to start.

Of course you could move North and comfortably buy this my current fave

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 26-Jun-15 20:22:18

you can see it from a distance across the green (through the trees)

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49523536.html

the people who first lived in it would die at the price grin

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 26-Jun-15 20:23:35

(you have to go down Dover House Rd a bit & turn right)

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 20:45:02

The first house linked to by northern is in a very nice location. Quiet, leafy.

bellathebluebell Fri 26-Jun-15 20:52:27

Jesus! I was just moaning to DH about nice 4 bed detached houses with decent gardens costing £700k around here. They look like a complete bargain in comparison.

SE house prices... biscuit

Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 21:05:40

ok back home now. Thanks for posting the full link

It's an overgrown school field behind - the agent said the school only mow it once a year and never use it. The garden is astroturf

I am trying to move very close to my elderly parents - this is a 5 min walk from them and so I know the area quite well. The story is that it's an overseas family who got posted to London, did the house up thinking they were staying a long time and have now been recalled unexpectedly. On Zoopla it describes this price as the owner's estimate

Agent was pretty uninterested so I didn't get anything useful out of her

Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 21:09:30

oh just noticed Northernlurker's other link - yes I viewed that one this evening as well - it's on a modern outcrop of the original estate and doesn't have the same character. Nice enough though

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 21:26:40

I think you're right, it's overdone for the area. It sounds as though you know what's what here and know what to offer!

OliviaBenson Fri 26-Jun-15 22:20:15

Does the overgrown school field have planning permission to build? I'd be worried even if they didn't? An unused field owned by a cash strapped local authority?

Alonglongway Fri 26-Jun-15 22:38:56

Yes I need to understand the issue with that field. My parents back onto it as well and I know it's correct that the school never use it. There's an electricity sub station on one corner and the whole estate is a conservation area and subject to an article 4 direction suspending permitted development rights

Belleview Fri 26-Jun-15 23:19:43

Which school owns the field?

Alonglongway Mon 29-Jun-15 12:38:35

So it turns out the field belonged to Huntingfield School, which was demolished about 20 years ago. And the land is leased on a peppercorn rent to the council and a private individual for 999 years.

I guess that makes it safe enough from development perspective - though I take OliviaBenson's point.

Belleview Mon 29-Jun-15 12:42:17

Sounds ideal.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 30-Jun-15 15:51:57

£680,000. They make their money back on the refurb and a small amount of equity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now