Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom Design

(6 Posts)
yakari Fri 26-Jun-15 07:34:48

We have a flat and due to very dodgy plumbing and lots of leaks need to replace the ensuite before we sell. We rent it (we're living abroad at the moment) we have a break in out tenancy over the summer so can do replace it and be ready for an autumn sale.
But where to start? And how to do it from abroad? We've a plumber we trust who can buy and install everything but we'd need to "design" it and I can't go into any shops. Equally as we're selling we want it to look good (its in a naice part of london) but we don't want to spend a fortune. So asking the plumber to just put in the cheapest white shower and tiles is probably not the answer!
Can you recommend any on line design tools? Any recommendation for cheap but expensive looking brands/options? And any recommendations on best layouts, must have's, etc for an ensuite. The room is big enough for a good sized walk in shower, toilet, and sink plus cabinet and probably some shelving around the sink.

lalalonglegs Fri 26-Jun-15 08:33:10

I don't know where you are but I would really recommend coming back for a few days to measure up and "design" the bathroom, although keeping everything in its current position would make sense. You can order some tile samples, I find Tons of Tiles very good, to arrive while you are here, you won't get a feel for them looking online. If you can really trust your plumber (and I'd be wary) then you may not have to be here for the work but, if I were you, I'd find someone who will oversee it for a fee especially as you want a good finish so that you can sell.

I use ebay for a lot of my bathroom fittings, lots of choice and you can get good quality sanitaryware, taps etc for much lower prices than you might on the high street. Bathstore isn't the cheapest but has some quite nice sanitaryware. I used Victoria Plumb once - products were ok but they were a nightmare to deal with.

yakari Fri 26-Jun-15 14:26:20

Thanks
Plumber we've known for years so yes definitely trust worthy.
I suspect you're right will have to come home which is of course additional expense (we're not quite the other side of the world but almost!)
Good tip about ordering tile samples for as we arrive. Thanks for that.

StonedGalah Fri 26-Jun-15 16:42:52

I put a new bathroom together without visiting a single shop. Get your trusted plumber to measure up and you can buy online.

Oh just remembered we did visit a store for tiles, went home to order online (told it was cheaper) and then had a 3 month wait for the tiles shock

DH and l chose the next tiles online and I'm really happy with our new bathroom apart from the fitter l thought l could trust

lalalonglegs Fri 26-Jun-15 17:12:19

It may be worth paying the equivalent fare to an interior designer/project manager type person in that case and letting them get on with it. A longhaul flight in order to supervise builders wouldn't be my idea of a dream trip...

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 28-Jun-15 16:02:38

Find a pic on Pinterest and ask you plumber to emulate it maybe ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now