Talk

Advanced search

Cost of resealing ensuite shower

(15 Posts)
youngadult109 Thu 25-Jun-15 18:23:59

Hello all,

I'm moving out of a rented property and the letting agent told us that they need to reseal the ensuite shower cubicle. May I know what's the usual cost for this? Would like to have a budget in mind so as to not being ripped off by the letting agent.

Many thanks!

wowfudge Thu 25-Jun-15 18:41:08

I don't think that would be anything other than the landlord's responsibility and not something you should be charged for/have deducted from your deposit. On what basis has the agent said you will be charged?

youngadult109 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:51:05

The agent said that it should be as clean as when I moved in. I've lived there for a year so there's some mold on the existing silicone. Guess that's the reason they are charging us..

TheoriginalMrsDarcy Thu 25-Jun-15 22:33:20

Pour bleach on the sealant and leave it overnight. It should come out clean.

youngadult109 Thu 25-Jun-15 22:53:38

Didn't think it was a problem so we didn't clean it perfectly. Have passed the keys back to agent so just waiting for the invoice to come in.

wowfudge Thu 25-Jun-15 23:25:07

I don't think that's right - unless there is a serious mould problem in the bathroom due to your failure to ventilate it then I would consider mould on sealant as wear and tear. I agree with pp that bleach or mould remover (contains bleach) could fix the issue.

What was it like when you moved in?

sanfairyanne Thu 25-Jun-15 23:58:04

www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/deposit-disputes-3/

nothing to lose by disputing it. ask the opinion of the people holding your deposit first step.

youngadult109 Fri 26-Jun-15 09:31:07

Here are some photos taken by the agent yesterday (sorry that it's a bit blur) to show you how bad (or not) is the shower cubicle.

I can't quite remember how it was like a year ago, clean I suppose. Anyway, as suggested, I've contacted the agent regarding this, and hopefully they will reconsider and not deduct from my deposit.

sanfairyanne Fri 26-Jun-15 13:42:17

on my phone anyway that looks like it needed an overnight soak in bleach. imo only they would be within their rights to charge a cleaning fee for it. it doesnt look like it needs resealing.

mistymeanour Fri 26-Jun-15 14:23:24

Bleach and tell the agent/deposit scheme that you consider it reasonable wear and tear. I never keep back deposit and always expect to have to clean/resilicone the bath and shower.

youngadult109 Fri 26-Jun-15 16:30:40

The agent got back to me saying the inventory stated that the shower seal was in good condition when I first moved in, and that a reseal is needed to restorr it to its previous condition as it's the tenants responsibility to maintain the condition. confused Should I persist in disputing?

sanfairyanne Fri 26-Jun-15 17:01:37

just ask the people holding your deposit. which scheme is it in?

wowfudge Fri 26-Jun-15 23:08:18

It does look terrible, but it beyond cleaning!

wowfudge Fri 26-Jun-15 23:08:36

Not beyond cleaning

youngadult109 Fri 03-Jul-15 17:31:13

Just received an email from the agent and they are charging me £70 for resealing the shower cubicle and £35 for tenant servicing fee (don't even know what is this for!).

Our deposit is held under Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). I think I'll proceed with raising a dispute. Any advice on how to make my case stronger by proving that a thorough cleaning is enough?

kicking my back now for overlooking the shower while cleaning for check out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now