Talk

Advanced search

laying carpet over laminate

(9 Posts)
Howcanitbe Wed 24-Jun-15 06:40:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wowfudge Wed 24-Jun-15 07:28:15

Don't do it - laminate is a floating floor, completely different. The carpet would need to be stretched with gripperods around the edges anyway so the laminate would be damaged and the carpet will never be right laid like that.

Take the laminate up - took me about ten minutes to take up the horrible laminate in our living room which had been previously carpeted over by tenants. They took the disgusting stained carpet with them and left us with the gripperod edging look!

Howcanitbe Wed 24-Jun-15 07:56:12

Gatekeeper Wed 24-Jun-15 09:24:47

I laid carpet over laminate in a bedroom and it is fine; hasn't rippled or gone lumpy at all

wowfudge Wed 24-Jun-15 11:00:27

It's up to you, but carpet should be laid directly on top of the floorboards. With decent underlay I don't see the benefit of leaving the laminate down.

Laminate is a floating floor so if it has been glued down it hasn't been installed correctly in the first place! You may also end up with uneven levels around door frames with carpet over laminate, but if you want to do it, then do it.

I would liken carpet over laminate as wallpaper over wallpaper myself.

iggymama Wed 24-Jun-15 11:42:44

I fitted carpet over laminate in my living room eight years ago and have had no problems.

cestlavielife Wed 24-Jun-15 12:31:37

try a large rug instead with floor grippers

JustBeingJuliet Wed 24-Jun-15 17:51:52

I laid foam backed carpet over the laminate in my bedroom and it's been absolutely fine.

Howcanitbe Wed 24-Jun-15 21:55:09

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now