Talk

Advanced search

Drain dilemma? Pic attached

(4 Posts)
Diydolly Tue 23-Jun-15 14:28:55

Can you tell me what the square puddle in my drain is? Is it the inspection hole of a blocked pipe? I flushed the loo & ran the kitchen tap & that water ran through the 'y' shaped pipe on the left. When I ran the garden hose down the rainwater gully, I expected to see the square hole pipe flow but it didn't. What is that square puddle? & also where does my rainwater go? I could hear the rain water from my hose flowing but I couldn't see it. Does my rainwater exit through my neighbours property? Do I need to get that square bit emptied out so it flows? I ask because my water company previously said my sink drained incorrectly. We've rebuilt the kitchen since but I want to reassure myself it was all connected correctly. Many thanks.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 23-Jun-15 14:31:58

Have you tried the bath/shower?

Is it an older property which maybe used to have an outside loo?

Diydolly Tue 23-Jun-15 14:41:00

No outside loo. 1920s semi

PeterParkerSays Tue 23-Jun-15 14:59:35

Your rainwater may go into a soakaway, rather than into the sewer. That's worth checking out as you can get a reduction on your water bill if that happens - see here for more information on that. smile

My guess ( and it would be a guess) is that the square is linked to the soakaway - if water was meant to run through that part of the drain, the square would lead into a pipe to take the volume of water away but it doesn't - the water in the square section would only reach the Y pipe if the square filled up so much it overflowed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now