Advanced search

I have a feeling I'll be hanging out on this board more in the future!

(7 Posts)
Swex Tue 23-Jun-15 13:32:05

We've bought a fixer upper. And I need help

So, we have extensive plans for the house. Damp proofing. Putting in pantry and mud room. Balcony etcetera

Do I need a builder alone?or do I need an architect to design everything? Does the builder come ready to plan bathrooms etc?

I'm a complete novice as you can see!
Thank you

OhEmGeee Tue 23-Jun-15 14:37:37

Depends how much you're doing. We got an architect but we could have had an architect technician to do our plans. We were knocking down walls internally plus doing an extension. Builders wouldn't give us accurate quotes without plans. We went to an external company for the kitchen but our builder did our bathroom. Just checked it was what we wanted. We chose the tiles.

Swex Tue 23-Jun-15 14:43:27

Ok so the builder won't make the plans, they will just work to them. So I need the person with the ideas first.

Swex Tue 23-Jun-15 14:43:46

Is an architect technician cheaper and quicker than an architect?

Gozogozo Tue 23-Jun-15 17:25:54

Not if they don't want the job ime...arch/tech quoted me twice what two architects quoted me, with no input from him, he would just do the technical drawings. Architects at least prepared to talk you through ideas & ballpark costs before drawing up.

Marmitelover55 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:38:44

What is a mud room?!

Swex Tue 23-Jun-15 19:42:29

Oooh a mud room is my dream. It's for muddy kids and husband to use as they come straight in. So will store rugby boots etc and have a simple shower etc and brushes for boots and kit bags etc. like a dirty utility room.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: