Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a Morso 0 range stove?

(9 Posts)
lylabelle123 Mon 22-Jun-15 11:49:41

I am thinking of getting a Morso stove - particularly the 04 or 06. Has anyone got one of these? Would you recommend?

I also wonder about the size of burner - the 04 will do 45m3. Our front living room is 40m3 but the wall into the back living room has been knocked through and so there is an open arch between the rooms. Do you think we would need a bigger capacity stove because of this?

shovetheholly Mon 22-Jun-15 12:26:38

Yep! I have the Morso 04.

I LOVE IT! It's the easiest stove in the world to light. Takes 20-30 mins to get going (it's extremely heavy cast iron which warms up slowly), but once it's hot, it keeps radiating heat all night.

I have a knockthrough sitting/dining room. I guess it's about 9m x 4m in area with fairly high ceilings. The stove quite comfortably heats the entire space. If the space were much smaller, it would be too hot. My neighbours say that they can feel the heat through the wall!

As you've probably read, it makes a real difference what wood you burn.

DrElizabethPlimpton Mon 22-Jun-15 12:39:56

I have 2 morso 0 range. They are wonderful.

I don't like the cottagey style of some wood burners, so the morso range were perfect.

lylabelle123 Mon 22-Jun-15 12:58:46

thanks shovetheholly - great to know that you love it and our rooms are about the same size so this really helps!

DrElizabeth as you have 2 they must be good.

Looks like I will go for the 04!

shovetheholly Mon 22-Jun-15 13:39:18

Check out about installation, because I think with burners much bigger than the 04 you need additional ventilation. Which will make your room colder when it's not on. Which may be counterproductive. It's been a while since I put mine in, though, so I might be misremembering.

lylabelle123 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:24:33

Thanks shovetheholly I will look into this.

Also what wood do you recommend?

dollysflop Tue 23-Jun-15 22:15:02

I have an 04.

Our lounge is big (4 x 6m) with high ceilings and when the stove is on we have to keep the lounge door open. But it's generally a warm flat with no draughts.

dollysflop Tue 23-Jun-15 22:15:42

Oh, and dry, seasoned wood a must. Get friendly with a tree surgeon wink

shovetheholly Wed 24-Jun-15 09:59:05

In terms of wood: do not buy those crappy bags from petrol stations. They are worse than useless. Hardwood is better than softwood because it is denser. Ash is the best if you can get it.

As dolly says, you want it seasoned which means that it needs to be left for a while after cutting to dry out naturally in a log store. If you have space, it is cheaper to do this yourself - you can buy green wood very cheaply from a tree surgeon, pile it up in a store in your garden and leave it a year before burning. (Some greener woods with more moisture, like apple, may need two years).

You can buy a moisture meter (cheap in Aldi in the autumn) to see whether the wood is dry enough to burn - ideally you want most of the moisture to have evaporated or it won't get as hot and will leave a load of tar and crap in your chimney. Which, by the way, you need to get swept every year so that your home insurance is valid!

Kiln dried wood is even better but can be prohibitively expensive, and it's not really necessary to have that extra bit of dryness if the wood is properly seasoned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now