Talk

Advanced search

Every time I turn on my oven my electricity goes off....

(10 Posts)
Keenoonvino Sun 21-Jun-15 18:53:20

And the fuse has blown and I have to go into the garage to the fuse box to tlick the fuse back. Then I turn the oven back on and the same thin happens. Sometimes 3 times in a row. Then I can finally use the oven. Anyone got any bright ideas so I can avoid an electrician call out?!

scarlets Sun 21-Jun-15 20:12:39

This happened with our toaster. It was under warranty (fancy wedding present from John Lewis) so we exchanged it, and the tripping stopped. I suspect that your oven is on the blink. :-( I hope I'm wrong.

Choccybaby Sun 21-Jun-15 20:36:04

We had the same problem last week - it was a loose connection on the cooker but had to get an electrician out to fix it.

CitrineRaindropPhoenix Sun 21-Jun-15 20:40:20

Does your cooker have its own power supply at the right wattage or are you using a normal plug socket?

PigletJohn Tue 23-Jun-15 09:59:31

if it is the oven, then most likely the heating element is breaking down with age, it may have a tiny crack which is allowing moisture in.

Changing an oven element is a common and not very complicated job.

It is possible to DIY if you are confident and have some ability.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Jun-15 10:00:52

p.s.

1) it is not a fuse

2) working after several attempts is usually because the heat has dried out the moisture

3) you need an appliance mender, though an electrician will probably do it if you ask.

Keenoonvino Tue 23-Jun-15 15:42:04

Thanks all - it wouldn't surprise me if the oven was on its last legs. We are due to undertake extensive building work soon and with that a new kitchen and so am
Loathe to pay anything towards fixing it. Is it dangerous?? If not, it's just the annoyance and I'll leave it as its clearly not something I can fix myself!

HammerToFall Tue 23-Jun-15 15:45:39

It definitely sounds like the elements are shot if it's causing the breaker to trip everytime you turn it on

crassula Tue 23-Jun-15 15:46:23

We had this and it needed a new element - not that expensive.

Yes, it is dangerous. When your trip switch goes it's a warning sign - your circuit is overloaded. Don't ignore it.

CointreauVersial Tue 23-Jun-15 19:04:29

Buy a new oven, and just transfer it into your new kitchen when you get around to renovating. It will probably fail completely at some point, just when you least want it to (Christmas Day?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now