Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you rent a house that backed on to a graveyard??

(68 Posts)
Anonymum40 Sun 21-Jun-15 18:24:42

Thinking of buying a buy-to-let and have found a lovely 3 bed, modern property. The only worry is that the view of the graveyard from the back bedroom might put people off. You can't see it when you are downstairs as there is a big hedge. Would it put you off???

SwedishEdith Sun 21-Jun-15 18:26:06

Not at all.

MyPelvicFloorTrainsItself Sun 21-Jun-15 18:27:15

No it wouldn't.

FenellaFellorick Sun 21-Jun-15 18:27:50

Nope, it would be fine.
It's not those in graveyards that give you trouble grin it's the buggers not there yet!

KleineDracheKokosnuss Sun 21-Jun-15 18:28:01

Noproblem as far as I am concerned

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 21-Jun-15 18:28:08

You have more to fear from the living than the dead.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 21-Jun-15 18:28:54

It wouldn't put me off at all, especially if the price was a bit lower than a similar house that didn't back on to a graveyard smile.

SwedishEdith Sun 21-Jun-15 18:29:20

That "Not at all" is to whether it would put me off. I would live in a house that backed onto a graveyard.

jeee Sun 21-Jun-15 18:29:21

Well, the neighbours are unlikely to be throwing wild parties. But I suppose if you're worried about the kind of zombie apocalypse that involves dead people emerging from graves it could be a little dodgy.

Creatureofthenight Sun 21-Jun-15 18:30:12

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

superram Sun 21-Jun-15 18:31:31

It wouldn't bother me but it does bother some people. Friends struggled to sell theirs in an area dominated by a specific cultural group.

Lindy2 Sun 21-Jun-15 18:32:42

I live in a house that backs on to a graveyard. It is beautiful, especially in Spring when it is full of daffodils, bluebells and crocuses. In summer we can't see much as the leaves on the trees cover up the view.
It is always peaceful and they will never build houses on it (unlike practically every other open space in this are).
It doesn't put me off at all. I actually see it as an advantage.
I can actually see the grave of someone I knew from my bedroom windows. At first I did feel a little bit strange about that. Now I see it more like I'm looking after her a little.

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 21-Jun-15 18:33:06

Our house (owned) backs on to the graveyard. We like it. One friend was a bit woo about it and said she couldn't have slept in the bedroom at the back.

namelessposter Sun 21-Jun-15 18:33:13

Am doing so right now! I find it very serene.

Georgethesecond Sun 21-Jun-15 18:34:00

I rented a house like this. It was very peaceful, not a problem at all.

spanky2 Sun 21-Jun-15 18:38:18

I used to live opposite a graveyard. No ghosts, but some young women were attacked there. It had a path through it that was a short cut.

MoreBeta Sun 21-Jun-15 18:41:13

We rented a house with a very old child grave about 2m from our living room window and whole graveyard (in a churchyard) to our left and another about 200m away. It was peaceful and idyllic.

I didn't mind the child grave near our living room as it was very old. It was the new children's graves with teddy bears and messages from utterly bereft parents that really upset me as we had very young children at the time. I only occasionally walked through though and could not see it from our house.

Go for it if its a nice house. The only possible downside I can think of is lots of funeral traffic and people blocking your access.

Georgethesecond Sun 21-Jun-15 18:43:45

Yes, I don't think the one we backed onto was still in use, if it was the newer graves must have been on the other side away from the house.

eandh Sun 21-Jun-15 18:48:07

I grew up in a bungalow backing onto cemetery (my parents have lived there since 1977 and no intention of moving) it's very quiet, they know they will never have houses built behind them and you cannot see cemetery as there is a huge bush and a fence! Never ever bothered me at all and wouldn't put me off!

ChrisQuean Sun 21-Jun-15 18:51:52

The graveyard, dead bodies, creepy thing that might put some people off, but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Very tranquil, interesting to look at and probably rather pretty if it's old. I would think carefully about security and whether there's a to social behaviour as graveyards seem to be a magnet for kids messing about. Might also think twice if it's avery active modern cemetery and my drive would be locked by flocks of mourners three times a week.

Definitely. Probably cheaper! grin

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 21-Jun-15 18:56:09

No it wouldn't bother me. In fact we very nearly did recently, but were put off by the fact they lied about it having a garden rather than the graveyard! And my great grandparents are buried in the graveyard in question!

RenterNomad Sun 21-Jun-15 19:00:50

As others have said, I would expect it to be cheaper. That's not because i'm squeamish or superstitious, but because I would imagine you'd have less demand from people who were! wink

Viviennemary Sun 21-Jun-15 19:03:41

No I wouldn't. But there are lots of folk who would.

ErinBlockerBitch Sun 21-Jun-15 19:06:30

No. And the cat would love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now