Advanced search

eariy planning stage, Structural engineer, architect or both?

(8 Posts)
Cornonthecob Sun 21-Jun-15 06:48:40

Hi, we have a large storage area next to our en suite that is basically the area under the main house stairs (we have the garden flat) we are looking to have that room tanked and fully water proofed, knock through to extend the bathroom slightly, then lower the floor slightly (so we can stand in there) where the stairs lower to create a small storage area accessed by a door and a couple of stairs down. Hope that makes sense. The current doorway between the en suite and storage area is between load bearing walls so not sure if any support will be required in order to knock through.

So do we need an architect or structural engineer to get the process moving?

In terms of tanking the storage room I take it we this after the area has been opened up and floor lowered?


Cornonthecob Mon 22-Jun-15 06:12:48

Anyone please?

lastnightiwenttomanderley Mon 22-Jun-15 07:08:58

Sounds like you know what you want to do (and limited alternatives) so I'd get a structural engineer to establish viability first. A good one will have enough architectural knowledge to chip in on that too.

I see too many proposals which require expensive jumping through hoops to do.something which could have been avoided by this kind of early input.

Good luck!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Mon 22-Jun-15 07:10:35

Oh, and yes. Tank after you've made the space as big needs to be. Presume you've never had any issues with damp that might suggest something more involved is required?

Cornonthecob Mon 22-Jun-15 10:04:34

Thanks lastnight the room that needs tanking is under the main stairs which isn't insulated so has no damp issues just cold!

Busylil Mon 22-Jun-15 11:08:13

I'd suggest getting the architect. They're more likely to come up with an imaginative use of the space. They will know about structures too and whether it's even necessary to get a structural engineer's calculations

Cornonthecob Wed 24-Jun-15 19:59:39

Thanks busy

MegMurry Wed 24-Jun-15 20:04:24

Not sure why you want to tank, unless it's a basement? If not, why not just upgrade the insulation?

Anyway, I'd go with structural engineer and only then if you need structural work. Otherwise, I'd use a competent architectural technician. Cheaper than a qualified architect.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: