Talk

Advanced search

Anyone built a garden room to chuck their teenagers in?

(8 Posts)
FlorenceMcDonald Sat 20-Jun-15 21:00:42

Could you tell me anything about what you did right/wrong, size, facilities you put out there, price etc.
We're weighing up at the moment whether it would be a good idea!
Thanks.

Iwasbornin1993 Sun 21-Jun-15 00:23:28

I would have loved this when I was a teenager living at home! A TV and comfy couches with lots of cushions/throws plus a fridge for wine soft drinks and sweets/other goodies would be perfect!

FlorenceMcDonald Sun 21-Jun-15 07:38:55

Hee hee! That's the idea! When I've googled garden rooms though they seem much more expensive than we'd expected so we really want to make sure it will get used.

SevenAteNine Sun 21-Jun-15 12:18:06

Would it be possible to try a secondhand caravan for a few months to see if they use it? I bet you could find such a thing for no more than a couple of hundred quid.

alex1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 16:56:19

Did you have any joy finding a company to go for? I'm looking for somewhere to throw my husband when he's working from home.

GreenGoblin0 Fri 13-Nov-15 20:18:00

interested in knowing how much these cost?

notarehearsal Sat 14-Nov-15 07:49:00

I converted the garage at the end of the garden for my three foster teens lads. It cost around £3000 to have it fully insulted, electrics, flooring and a good heater etc. Had huge corner sofa, snooker table, dart board, sky tv plus all the consoles, fridge and a portable loo if they had friends in over night. It was well worth it when they were young teens but as they got older the novelty did wear off and it wasn't used nearly enough

cupcakelovinggirl Sat 14-Nov-15 08:00:15

Most builders can do this for you. If you have it under a certain size, you can skip planning permission (although you still have to notify the council of your intent) these seem to be becoming more popular as people would rather build these than move.

You can buy a shed from the garden centre and get it insulated for around 5k. But to have one custom built by a builder that is about 20 foot by 15 foot can cost around 30k. I'm in London by the way so that could make a difference price wise.

I have known builders to build garden rooms that cost up to 120k!! Like anything it depends what finish you ultimately want on it and size.

I love them and think they are worth investing in. They can be used for so many different things. Have a look at this website for inspiration www.swiftorg.co.uk/index

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now