Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Plymouth

(15 Posts)
Asleeponasunbeam Thu 18-Jun-15 20:46:56

DH and I both have jobs in Plymouth. We're planning on moving closer - currently about 40 minutes away. Had been looking at various places outside the city but just beginning to consider the benefits of being in Plymouth itself (much more affordable property for a start!).

We really need advice on where would be good/ places to avoid. We're looking at Stoke village, maybe Mannamead. Any thoughts? Thanks.

JannerGal Fri 19-Jun-15 11:30:43

What is your budget? Huge difference in areas.

I'd steer clear of Stoke Village. I think years ago it used to be a nice area hence the big Victoria houses but it's not great now and near the actual village itself it's a bit rough. A lot of those lovely big houses have been converted into flats as well.

Mannamead is nice. One of the more expensive areas. I'd love to live there but budget wouldn't allow. Eggbuckland is quite nice as is Crownhill. Plymstock is very nice and Plympton. Hartley and a lot of Manadon is nice. These are all the more expensive areas.

I'd avoid Barne Barton for definite! Personally I wouldn't live in Devonport although I know they are trying to do it up, I still wouldn't go there, same with North Prospect (more commonly known as Swilly). Greenbank and Mutley are studentville, I'd avoid them. St Judes is nice but you are only ever likely to get a courtyard, not a garden. Lovely houses though. Derriford and the Looseleigh Lane areas are very nice, as is Roborough and Woolwell.

It completely depends on you budget though. You'd need a good budget of at least 170k to get a nice house in one of these areas. You could get slightly cheaper but there would be something about it that was making it a lower price.

Also avoid Ernesettle, Honicknowle, St Budeaux (although Higher St Budeaux is lovely, it's further down the hill near the square you want to avoid), a lot of West Park, some of Whitleigh although some is okay, bit street dependant that one. Avoid some of Ham, again a bit street dependant. Kings Tamerton is fine as is Beacon Park, that's quite nice. Southway is a bit hit and miss again.

So some are lovely areas but expensive, some avoid like the plague and others are ok depending which part you are in.

Asleeponasunbeam Fri 19-Jun-15 17:33:55

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice we were after. It's so hard to tell about an area without knowing people.

Mannamead is probably the only option for us if we decide on Plymouth then. Although there are suitable houses in Derriford. Budget is up to £400,000.

JannerGal Fri 19-Jun-15 21:38:11

Oh a really good budget. For that I'd definitely be looking at Derriford. The big houses off the Looseleigh Lane area. Would be my top area if I had a good budget.

Definitely don't bother with Stoke Village with a budget like that.

Asleeponasunbeam Fri 19-Jun-15 21:42:31

There are some lovely houses of Looseleigh Lane. But do we want Plymouth at all? You're obviously local (username alert!) but we're not used to cities. Our alternative is Tavistock. Or possibly villages in between?

JannerGal Fri 19-Jun-15 21:52:03

TBH, with a budget like that you wouldn't get houses in the bad areas anyway as they are all significantly cheaper so you will be fine.

I've been on Rightmove. grin Some amazing properties!

calilark Fri 19-Jun-15 21:55:31

look at Yelverton. Lovely village between Plymoutb and Tavy. Also Shaugh Prior as well if you don't mind more rural.

Derriford and Mannamead both have lovely areas, I have lived in both. Currently am in Eggbuckland. Also look at Compton and Hartley and Woolwell possibly.

Avoid Barne Barton, North Prospect, Efford, Honicknowle, Whitleigh, Ernesettle, most parts of St Budeaux, most parts of Southway. There are some lovely places at Tamerton Foliot, although also some not so great. Places like Stoke/Devonport/Keyham are mixed, some nice places and some not so much.

Good luck with your search! Post links to properties on here and we can advise and be nosy

imjustahead Fri 19-Jun-15 22:00:07

whereabouts do you live atm? If you are thinking of moving just outside PLymouth with that budget you could afford alot op. What about Yealmpton, Brixton, Modbury? ie towards the south hams?

Perfectlypurple Fri 19-Jun-15 22:01:17

Agree with previous posters. I think manadon park is pretty good. Decent sized houses too.

Places like Plympton and plymstock have pretty good bus routes and some shops. Places like Tavistock not so good for buses but it depends on how important that is to you.

We live in Plympton and we love it. For that budget you could get a decent house there.

Perfectlypurple Fri 19-Jun-15 22:02:10

Oh and noss Mayo or Newton ferrers not too far away.

Asleeponasunbeam Fri 19-Jun-15 22:05:11

Noss Mayo and Newton Ferrers lovely, I agree. Modbury a bit too far for commuting. We're considering Yealmpton too. Yelverton seems nice and other villages that way - Meavy?

Perfectlypurple Fri 19-Jun-15 22:06:09

A lovely noss Mayo house

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34874376.html

And a house with an amazing view in Newton ferrers

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35096964.html

Asleeponasunbeam Fri 19-Jun-15 22:10:18

Thanks, purple.
We're obsessed with rightmove and have probably memorised every floor plan in a ten mile radius of Plymouth. An offer fell through on our house the other week so we're waiting for another. Lost a house we loved in Tavistock.

imjustahead Sat 20-Jun-15 09:57:12

if Modbury too far then Noss Mayo and newton similar as lanes. Modbury at least on main road i was thinking. takes about 15 mins and close for beach life the other direction.
i would say Tavistock just as far. makes me want to look at right move nowsmile

Facade1983 Sat 01-Aug-15 12:33:26

Are your jobs in the city centre? If so, Tavistock would be no better for commuting than where you are at the moment. If you want to live in Plymouth, Mannamead has more of the advantages of city life than Derriford - just about walking distance from the centre. What about the Hoe - not sure what the prices are like there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now