What can you store in a tiny gap next to the cooker?

(33 Posts)
SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 06:33:44

Was thinking a pull out towel rail but I'm not sure how safe that is.

And I haven't got a huge tray sadgrin

Space is probably about 12cm.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Thu 18-Jun-15 06:46:24

Spice rack?

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Thu 18-Jun-15 06:48:50

Baking trays stacked together on their side on two shelves?

Mini pull out larder for tins and packets?

tryingtocatchthewind Thu 18-Jun-15 06:49:31

I've got a pull out towel rack, never use it. It's really hard to get towels on amd who wants damp towels stuck in a cupboard.
Agree with spice rack or other bottles like oil. Or have you seen the pull out chopping boards

SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 06:55:19

Ooh. I like the spice rack! Sadly not a great cook so I don't know one spice from another blush

The space is under a worktop overhang, not in a cupboard iyswim.

I would hang towels there but am worried they are too close to the oven - mind you the sides don't really get hot do they?

Like the baking tray idea. Not sure what chopping boards you mean?

Magmatic80 Thu 18-Jun-15 06:57:36

We keep the clothes horse in the gap

yomellamoHelly Thu 18-Jun-15 06:59:00

We have the step ladder we use for getting to the high cupboards. In previous house had the trays.

scribblegirl Thu 18-Jun-15 07:02:50

My parents have a built in wine rack style shelf in that sized gap - like the one on the end of this counter. They only keep red wine in it though!

SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 07:11:25

Oh yes step ladder! Brilliant! That's non flammable grin

I'm thinking I'll hang the oven glove in the gap from a hook under the worktop - they're pretty heatproof too, right? It's no great loss if nothing is in the space but would like to fill it with something.

I don't think I can do a wine rack as there's no space for another 'side' to it iyswim? though it would look nice.

SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 07:12:02

Clothes horse also smashing idea however they are all in the bathroom.

Eastpoint Thu 18-Jun-15 07:14:45

Neither wine nor spices should be kept next to an oven.

daisychicken Thu 18-Jun-15 07:18:39

Wouldn't think it is good for spices or red wine to be kept next to the cooker - doesn't heat affect them? confused

We have 2 narrow gaps, 1 will be moved following a slight redo/update of the kitchen to next to the cooker (to allow for an eventual replace of the cooker from 50cm to 60cm) so I'm thinking of a similar issue. At the moment, one gap holds a small stepladder (as I'm short!) and the other holds a folding table for extra surface space but this rarely gets used so is being reallocated.

Is your space permanent ie not going to be changed like mine is? If so, could you put a shelf to give you a more useable space and use it for baking trays, chopping boards that kind of thing?

Like this: |
|
- shelf
|
|
- floor

Or a towel rack might be ok - how hot does the side get? I keep oven gloves on the front of my cooker and the door gets quite hot..

SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 07:29:04

Yes is a permanent space, have just had kitchen built yesterday! smile

Is v beautiful. I keep going and staring at it.

I love your shelf diagram grin

I may try something akin to this, but will probably just hang the gloves there and go and buy a huge f-off tray because in fact we haven't got a tray and we do need one. never knew this till now

SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 07:29:44

Tis a new cooker too, hoping it won't get terribly hot. The current one doesn't.

icklekid Thu 18-Jun-15 07:31:54

We have sliding out towel rack we keep oven gloves and tea towels on. Sliding out means easy to get in and out - dry quickly if wet too!

ptumbi Thu 18-Jun-15 07:33:00

I think I'd use it for towels - even if the sides get hot, they are unlikely to catch fire! They'd just dry.

SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 07:34:36

Perhaps the towel rail is the way forward then. I don't think it would get hot enough to actually catch fire.

Thank you everyone. Another of life's huge problems sorted by MN smile

Furball Thu 18-Jun-15 08:25:50

I had one like this this

and used it to store all my baking trays in - stood upright

Walnutpie Thu 18-Jun-15 09:26:09

I keep chopping boards in mine.

Can we see a photo of your new kitchen? smile to inspire those of us at planning stages!

SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 09:46:35

Oh gosh it has kept me awake at night for months trying to figure out a design - it's a tiny room so you would think it would be easy but it is a funny shape.

Carpenter is making the doors this morning. It's only got three doors and three drawers!! (which we have to wait a few weeks for him to make now)

Very simple but looking lovely smile

Will put up a photo of unfinished version later..

unlucky83 Thu 18-Jun-15 10:07:28

I love the idea of the narrow pull outs but you have to get doors made/be able to get door the right width that match.
I have what was described as a wine rack in a slightly bigger gap (I have a slimline dishwasher but left space for a full size one if I ever wanted one) No door but the shelves are removable so I have moved the top shelf ( maybe top 2? can't remember) and keep chopping boards in there. The bottom is low down so I keep the dishwasher stuff in there pushed back so not visible (guess I could get a nice tin or something if I wanted) ...or you could get small baskets/boxes/tins that fit on the shelves for 'handy' things like melon ballers hmm, pastry brushes etc or handy tools (I keep a hammer, 2 basic screwdrivers, a scraper and a tape in a kitchen drawer) or freezer bags/tinfoil/cling film or ???
What I would say is that it is a dust/dirt magnet -would much rather it had a door!
Also I use the bottom drawer next to my cooker to store potatoes, onions etc -as a veg drawer with no problems. It wasn't part of the plan but worked better than drawer I'd planned to use - I remember a kitchen planner sticking a veg drawer next to the cooker and me saying I thought that was a really bad idea blush

SophieHatters Thu 18-Jun-15 11:10:35

I have visions of a pull-out potato rack now grin

Random sized holes for various sizes of potato. Gap in the market? It would look a bit like Connect 4.

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Thu 18-Jun-15 11:23:05

Oh, tell me more about the carpenter (not in a dodgy sense I hasten to add grin)

Did you plan and design the kitchen yourself then get a carpenter to make and fit it?

What about something like a pull out rail with hooks that you can hang all the awkward things like soup ladles and potato ricers that don't fit in drawers neatly? Seems like a bit of a waste of space but if it's near the oven it might be handy there.

hillbilly Thu 18-Jun-15 11:35:19

Chopping boards.

RandomFriend Thu 18-Jun-15 11:39:35

Oooh, a new kitchen! Can you post a picture?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now