Talk

Advanced search

Would this be a really strange thing to do???

(11 Posts)
DueOct30th Wed 17-Jun-15 20:58:36

We are currently house hunting in a village near Andover, have sold our house and just looking for the right property. Obviously being a fairly small village there is not much coming up on the market.

I have read a lot about posting letters to houses that look suitable in the area and asking if they are considering selling etc, I've written a letter and am thinking about posting them but this village also has a community facebook page. Would it be really, really weird if I posted on the facebook page?? DP says it would be and no one would reply and if and when we do find a house there I would be seen as the odd woman who posted on the facebook page.

Grateful for any opinions? (Or ideas on how to get the house of my dreams without being seen as the pushy crazy lady!!)

wowfudge Wed 17-Jun-15 21:03:39

Don't do it. Apart from anything else, your letter is likely to be more effective if you have tailored it to a particular lovely street, of a style of house you like or a gorgeous garden. Stick it on FB and it looks like a scattergun approach or desperate - even if you are desperate, you don't want to come across like that!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 17-Jun-15 21:06:25

I'm not on FB, but would be sceptical of communication via it.

Put letters through doors. That would work better.

DueOct30th Wed 17-Jun-15 21:09:16

Good point, eeeee we haven't even been looking for very long I am just worried that not much comes up and I am determined to live in this village. I think I need to calm down and think about something other than house hunting! This is supposed to be the fun part smile

Stoneysilence Wed 17-Jun-15 21:14:25

We wrote a letter to the couple who owned the dream house we wanted to buy. It was on the market though, and we'd made an offer. It did the trick - they accepted, under the value of another (non letter writing) bid!

JustBeingJuliet Thu 18-Jun-15 00:08:48

I found my house through FB! I wanted to buy in the village I was renting in, and I posted on the "Spotted" page and got a reply - 6 months later I was in my perfect new house! No estate agent fees for my seller and it all worked out really well.

Sunnyshores Thu 18-Jun-15 09:11:41

I wouldnt put it on FB, but maybe send a PM to the site manager asking her where you could put it? She may suggest village shop/Post office/hall etc. and that way you have a village contact but havent appeared 'odd'.

caravanista13 Thu 18-Jun-15 09:22:13

Friends of ours leafletted the road they wanted to buy in, had a couple of responses and are now happily settled in their new home!

ohhello Sun 21-Jun-15 20:35:37

I would fb it, why not!

storybrooke Sun 21-Jun-15 21:08:06

I've seen tonnes of people wanting to buy x bed in our area and some do get replies, it does work. I'd give it a try and send the letter tbh

dollysflop Tue 23-Jun-15 22:19:38

I'd Facebook but perhaps note in your post certain area/streets. I'd be interested in selling that way if I could avoid estate agents fees. Someone else might feel the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now