Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen island. Rectangular or curved?

(17 Posts)
soundsystem Wed 17-Jun-15 06:26:07

Sorry for two similarish posts, didn't want to do one massive one!

We're putting in a new kitchen and can't agree about the island. DH prefers a rectangular one. I think curved would be nicer. Curved is quite a bit more expensive, however we've made savings in other areas so would still be within budget. So we can afford it but finding it hard to justify the additional expense.

If you have an island, is it curved or square and are you happy with it?

If you were buying a house would you have a strong preference? (Not planning on moving but it's not impossible so keeping it in the back if our minds).

The kitchen is painted wood, quite traditional so I'm thinking curved units would just look a but softer and nicer. I'm concerned about sharp corners and toddlers...

Applesauce29 Wed 17-Jun-15 14:21:31

I'd prefer curved myself especially with toddler / small children, although I'd consider what you're going to use the island for eg if having a breakfast bar could you fit more stools / eating space in with straight edges?

mandy214 Wed 17-Jun-15 14:24:16

Even with square islands, the corners are very slightly rounded off (like a 2p coin) so they are not right angles. We had a wooden island top years ago and DS ran into the bottom edge/corner and had to have a stitch in his head.

Kieron79 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:53:08

We went with rectangular, as mentioned in here the ends are beveled anyway

OhEmGeee Wed 17-Jun-15 19:58:22

Ours is curved, we have a toddler. We also have curved end cupboards.

SwedishEdith Wed 17-Jun-15 20:01:13

Aesthetically, I don't like curved cupboard doors.

Marmitelover55 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:34:45

We have curved and aesthetically I love it grin

PantMoustache Wed 17-Jun-15 21:11:47

We have square one end and curved the other. Does that help?

The square bit is parallel to kitchen units and the curved bit butts out into the family room with a couple of stools underneath - so it kind of follows the natural flow of the room. Where anyone daft toddlers would be likely to run into it or bump themselves they are more likely to be at the curved end. Square ended bit is more of a sedate area of the kitchen and the natural flow would mean it would be tricky to hit the corner iyswim

Devora Wed 17-Jun-15 22:37:51

I prefer rectangular.

Apatite1 Wed 17-Jun-15 23:38:02

Ours will be curved. Baby expected!

MaliceInWonderland78 Thu 18-Jun-15 13:35:28

We've got square/rectangular. We've got a toddler (a year old) and so far it hasn't been an issue. The surfaces are rounded off though.

Walnutpie Thu 18-Jun-15 13:46:41

Much prefer curved. The corners otherwise look ideal to jab you in the hip or a child in the head, or worse, eye.

pootlebug Thu 18-Jun-15 13:50:50

Rectangular. Curved looks really dated.

Ludways Thu 18-Jun-15 14:21:37

Rectangular, curved is fancy and I don't really do fancy, lol

Aussiemum78 Thu 18-Jun-15 14:30:36

Ours is rectangular but they aren't pointy at all. We also have a waterfall effect on each end so the bench doesn't "jut" out.

Aussiemum78 Thu 18-Jun-15 14:33:59

Like this one...

Walnutpie Thu 18-Jun-15 15:29:11

The good thing about the curve, if it is dated, is that very very soon it will be retro, and re marketed as new and fresh. Just keep busy for eighteen months or so and suddenly it will be 'rediscovered'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now