Advanced search

Planning Permission to self-build on an "open site"

(8 Posts)
18yearsoftrying Tue 16-Jun-15 21:07:38

Any ideas as to how we can get permission to do this please?

Thinking eath-sheltered/underground.

Due to my degenerative/debilitating health the property will be a single storey.

JKArchitect Wed 17-Jun-15 14:37:15

Hi, I'm an architect, I'm not really sure of your question.

18yearsoftrying Wed 17-Jun-15 20:23:38

Sorry, JK. I'll try to explain...

DH & I own a plot of land that is classified by the Council as an 'open site' which means apparently we are not allowed to build on it. We do have stables on it presently.

Do you know of any way we can try to successfully gain PP for a dwelling please?

lalalonglegs Wed 17-Jun-15 20:29:29

I met someone once who bought a large rural site with no PP in place and unlikely to get any. He set himself up as a pig farmer on the land and did that for five years in order to get consent as it would be agriculturally necessary. It is a bit extreme though.

I know someone else who had a walled site in inner London which, I can't remember the precise wording, but the LA didn't want it to be built upon because it provided one of the few non-built upon plots in the area. He eventually got permission to build to the height of the 6-ft wall by largely building underground (it is an amazing house) so that the streetscape isn't really changed.

Takver Wed 17-Jun-15 20:41:54

Do you know Chapter 7 / The Land is Ours? I reckon their DIY Planning handbook is what you need. Unfortunately it's out of print right now being updated, but there's still helpful stuff on their website here

In Wales, I guess the most likely approach to succeed (if you're thinking earth sheltered / low impact development) would be a One Planet application, though it's a massive commitment. I'm not sure what the equivalent is in England - or even if there is one - but Chapter 7 are your people, for sure.

18yearsoftrying Wed 17-Jun-15 20:45:34

Thanks Longlegs.

Apparently now with the 1st scenario you mention you now have to prove you absolutely have to live on site. The council would prefer you now to live elsewhere & won't even consider allowing PP for a dwelling if you could live immediately next to the plot of land.

I'm pinning my hopes on an underground one, or indeed as you say, at the height of the boundary wall.

So frustrating given Hs2 is more than likely going ahead when there has been no public consultation, inconveniencing thousands suring the build, it takes land from private owners, kills protected woodland & wildlife, could build so many hospitals & schools instead etc etc.

All I'm trying to do is improve my quality of life.

18yearsoftrying Wed 17-Jun-15 21:04:02

Thankyou Takver, sorry we x-posted.

That is very helpful, I will have a proper read through of all that insight over the next few days.

Takver Wed 17-Jun-15 21:26:26

Two other articles you might find useful - one on small land based enterprises, and the other on the country house exemption.

Basically, if you're going down this route, be aware that getting permission to build in the open countryside is a very, very, very long and tortuous process, with a low probability of success.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: