Talk

Advanced search

Superglue for UPVC crack or something better/ more specific?

(8 Posts)
SilverHawk Mon 15-Jun-15 19:37:23

Any ideas welcome. Door smashed back onto a brick in the recent winds.

PigletJohn Mon 15-Jun-15 20:19:31

you can get a glue called "hard plastic glue"

better also look out for a springy doorstop to stop it happening again.

SilverHawk Mon 15-Jun-15 21:12:53

Is the 'hard plastic glue' the best?

We had a big heavy planter as a stop. I think the lack of rain had left it very light. I will get a 'huge' stop to stop this. I think it will need to cemented in as the door has a step.

PigletJohn Mon 15-Jun-15 21:18:51

I think it would be better than Superglue, which I don't find very permanent

PVC can be welded using a hot tool, there may be someone local to you who does it. Try window/pato door repair companies. Or, if it is a flat panel, they might be able to fit a new one. Try to get a recommendation from a friend or neighbour. It is not very difficult to do, but getting a good finish would be. There are companies who repair plastic bumpers and other car parts like this, I don't know if they would do a house door.

I am very much a wooden door enthusiast.

FranBrodie Mon 15-Jun-15 21:23:53

Sorry for the hijack - would hard plastic glue stick my PVC window trim back to the wall too? (Indoors)

PigletJohn Mon 15-Jun-15 22:37:19

I think they only stick one piece of plastic to another.

I used some not long ago and it softened the plastic parts and made them sticky.

Try no-more-nails or similar for the wall, or double-sided foam tape.

SilverHawk Mon 15-Jun-15 23:03:42

This is a door to the outside that has been added onto the house. I seem to spend a small fortune keeping the sashes and wood doors 'working'.
Much prefer wood.

SilverHawk Wed 17-Jun-15 09:19:29

Thank you, Piglet, for pointing me in the right direction. I found that a glue called JB Weld Plastic Weld come out best in the tests. However, this was not available locally but I did find Plastic Padding Super Steel epoxy weld in Halfords. The active ingredients in the Plastic Padding glue are the same as in the JB Weld glue, namely, epichlorohydrin and bisphenol A.
This may be of use to others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now