Talk

Advanced search

What should I be thinking about with a loft conversion

(13 Posts)
WorkingBling Mon 15-Jun-15 17:13:50

We're looking at doing a loft conversion in our house later this year. We'd ideally create a bedroom, bathroom and small storage room. We had some initial thoughts from builders last year and it was all sounding very feasible.

What I'm trying to work out is what to think about in advance in terms of planning and design (outside of obvious things like what bathroom suite we want!) So on my list so far is:

Lighting (I want it recessed, and with dimmer switches)
How high tech or not to go eg electronic blinds on the velux windows etc
Built in storage/cupboards
Storage in bathroom - i want it as easy to clean as possible, so even want built in, tiled recesses for holding shampoo/conditioner in the shower etc.

But what else should I be thinking about and working into the design and, ultimately, budget!

HollyMaingate Mon 15-Jun-15 17:57:14

About to start one too. Lighting is a big question for me as I had it in my head that we'd have downlights but am gathering they are pretty dated now and that in bedrooms we should be going for pendant fittings. Confused!

Storage as you say (lights in the wardrobes when you open the doors), wardrobes to the ceiling so there's no dust trap.
As much natural light as possible.
Two way light switch on the stairs.
I found it helpful to masking tape the floor of another room in the house to the same size/shape as what will be the new rooms upstairs so I could get a better idea

dingit Mon 15-Jun-15 18:01:31

Bear in mind if you are attached you will need a Party Wall agreement. We then had to get a party wall survey that ended up costing us £1000.

NavyAndWhiteStripes Mon 15-Jun-15 18:38:11

Think about the width and angle of your stairs to make sure you can get furniture up and down.

WorkingBling Mon 15-Jun-15 21:40:44

Thanks all. Very helpful. Lighting tips especially. I am planning built in, floor to ceiling cupboards already - more storage, less dust! Shelving too.

Grinstead Mon 15-Jun-15 22:58:17

Check what height the room ceilings will be and that you are happy with height - see thread on here from a month or so ago when the OP's loft conversion was too low!

ChablisTyrant Mon 15-Jun-15 23:02:09

Heat! They can get very hot in summer. Any way to get a through breeze?

Itshouldntmatter Tue 16-Jun-15 06:47:53

Sound proofing, under the new floor; size of velux, exact position/shape of the stairs to maximise room size, and (if you happen to have a very tight existing landing) how high you want the head clearance going downstairs (I.e under your new staircase).

dingit Tue 16-Jun-15 08:41:22

Ours is best room in house in summer! French doors open at rear, velum window open at front, lovely through breeze smile

dingit Tue 16-Jun-15 08:41:42

* velux

HollyMaingate Tue 16-Jun-15 08:57:50

What did you do for lighting in the bedroom dingit?

Itshouldntmatter Tue 16-Jun-15 09:54:33

Also, the more insulation the better. Down lights reduce your insulation.

hiccoughybump Tue 16-Jun-15 09:57:50

Insulation!!!! I lived in one through my student years, it was great but very cold in winter and very hot in the summer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now