Talk

Advanced search

Front door colour confidence?

(17 Posts)
feelinitchyallover Mon 15-Jun-15 11:23:05

Can you help me with my front door please? We live in a 1920s semi, reddy brown brick base walls & cream painted pebbledash above. For 20+yrs we've had a navy blue front door & it needs doing again. I've already bought another can of navy blue but after surfing Pinterest last night I've now got 'ice-blue' stuck in my head, something I'd previously dismissed as being tonally too similar to the cream walls. I've also just (laboriously) painted two versailles planters to go either side of the front door, in a very pale green. I get really hung up on colour & I want to get it right. If I go for ice-blue on the door, what colour should I do the planters to make them sit well against the door & the walls. In my head cream walls, pale door & pale planters all 'feels' a bit limp. (I am also considering painting the front railings the same colour as the planters if that makes any difference?) I'm in the middle of a shitty divorce & want to create a really 'wow' entrance to cheer me up every time I come home. Many thanks

wowfudge Mon 15-Jun-15 11:35:10

On the contrary, pale colours together will work well and give a calming effect. Why not paint the door the same colour as the planters if you are not sure about the blue?

I wouldn't paint the railings pale blue or green though. Don't know why, just personal preference. How about silver or cream instead?

RatOnnaStick Mon 15-Jun-15 11:41:25

You could akways go onto Dukux or Crown and play with the colour palettes to see what might work for you.

feelinitchyallover Mon 15-Jun-15 11:41:27

I thought the door & planters would be too much of the same? The planters are quite large. <bangs head against wall> (sitting here surrounded by colour charts) I can't get on & sand & prime the door until I know what colour it's going to be.

Walnutpie Mon 15-Jun-15 12:36:38

Don't bang your head against the door! smile from what you've said, ice blue is going to look amazing. Really refreshing and zingy.

Why don't you go baby steps, and decide on the railings once the door us completed? Personally I think painting the railings ice blue would also look fab..especially if there is foliage by your railings. Lovely colour combination. It sounds great.

The planters will look great as a counterpoint to the blue, toning with the foliage.

Have you got any pics? I have to do my front door this summer and am thinking of little greene's celestial blue, which is much paler than I normally go.

5oclocksomewhere Mon 15-Jun-15 22:30:59

We painted our door bright yellow as it is south facing and the fung shui (??) colour rules erm supported that choice...but it really works! Made a huge difference to whole house outlook

SkodaLabia Mon 15-Jun-15 22:34:50

If you go onto the Farrow and Ball website and house the shade that's nearest to the cream colour it will give suggestions as to what will go with it.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 15-Jun-15 22:37:42

if your railings are iron, pale colours show dirt & rust really quickly & look awful after that. Hammerite black is great for ralings grin

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 16-Jun-15 00:12:01

Farrow & Ball have a colour called Downpipe which is not as stark as blAck, but is good for making things recede, iyswim. So it wouldn't compete with the lovely blue of the door but would quietly enhance it.
I prefer Little Greene Paint to F&B, but I'm sure lots of companies have a sort of charcoal grey.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 16-Jun-15 00:16:57

Red planters?

fiorentina Tue 16-Jun-15 22:28:11

I think having the door and planters the same colour would be great- the power of 3! I am sure they will look very smart. I'd choose dark grey or black for the railings though. Hope it cheers you and you're happy and settled soon.

wowfudge Tue 16-Jun-15 23:07:54

Dark grey railings are a great idea.

Gdydgkyk Wed 17-Jun-15 00:07:17

Dark grey (down pipe F&B type) for door and railings light grey for planters

Gdydgkyk Wed 17-Jun-15 00:08:07

I prefer little greene too.

IloveCheese11 Wed 17-Jun-15 08:48:47

I'm planning to paint our new front door yellow when we get round to putting it in. I didn't know about the feng shui but our door is also south facing. I wanted something cheerful and welcoming. I have seen some lovely light blue/soft blue doors on houses like yours.

fiorentina Wed 17-Jun-15 08:52:11

I am a bit biased on the grey front as we have downpipe on the front door, trough and side gate!

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 17-Jun-15 21:25:12

I had a yellow front door once (30 years ago shock), Cheese - I painted the railings yellow too (that's how I know about dirt & rust...)

Mine was a pale yellow, buttercup might be better, but I wouldn't have it now; pale green or blue or grey are ok, but otherwise I think traditional stronger colours are better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now