Talk

Advanced search

Kitchens without wall cabinets

(74 Posts)
Lambzig Mon 15-Jun-15 08:15:50

I am designing a kitchen at the moment as part of a large kitchen/dining/family room and finding the decision making really hard.

I am thinking of having no wall cabinets for a more spacious feel(cabinets will go along one 6.5m wall and there will be a separate 2m island) apart from two floor to ceiling at one end (one near wall, adjacent one with double oven). I cant get rid of these as an under-counter oven would be be annoying and it would lose too much cupboard space. This still gives me 17 60cm or 80cm wide cabinets.

I have been playing around with a kitchen design tool and I think that would look nicer than wall cabinets.

Has anyone done this at all? Will I regret not bunging as much storage space as possible in there? Any advice gratefully received.

notsogoldenoldie Mon 15-Jun-15 08:19:40

I like that look too. I think it CAN be great as long as the sleek look is not spoiled with worktop clutter. Hence the storage space dilemma. I'd go for it as long as there's sufficient cupboard space elsewhere.

ZaZathecat Mon 15-Jun-15 08:20:57

The house we bought has no wall cabinets and it is a killer on my back! Every flippin' thing I do I have to bend double. Can't wait to be able to afford to re-do the kitchen. So my advice is: have wall cabinets and anything else you possibly can at eye level.

poocatcherchampion Mon 15-Jun-15 08:24:57

17 cabinets sounds a lot!
We've not long done ours and opted for none in some parts of the kitchen. I carefully planned what would go where and there is space left over now.

For ref we have one larder, one tall cupboard with doulbd oven, 3x80 and 2x80 at the top in a large room.

noddyholder Mon 15-Jun-15 08:25:59

I renovate old houses never done wall cabinets in 15 yrs much prefer it

poocatcherchampion Mon 15-Jun-15 08:26:29

Also it doesn't hurt my back because thry are all deep drawers

And in reality once you've got past a critical mass then yoy cut your stuff to fit the space available - so I wouldn't fret too much.

patterkiller Mon 15-Jun-15 08:29:56

I have one wall floor to ceiling larder type units, an island in the centre then only base units on the other wall these are mostly deep pan drawers which solves having to stoop and scramble for stuff. Lots of nifty dividers two concealed cutlery drawers and such to keep stuff organized.

It's about a year old now and I love the flow of it. I was never a fan of wall units so don't miss them one bit.

Citrasun Mon 15-Jun-15 08:33:53

Yes, we did this recently. Kitchen looks so much bigger without the cabinets. We have lots of drawers, rather than cupboards, under the worktop. It's great as drawers pull out fully and it's easy to find what you need. There are a couple of shelves above the worktop, just for the little bits and pieces and the more decorative dishes etc.

Stinkersmum Mon 15-Jun-15 08:38:22

Our house in uk doesn't have any wall cupboards, just a plate rack. There's an 8x4ft island with cupboards underneath and a giant freestanding pantry which is like a tardis. Love it.

MoreBeta Mon 15-Jun-15 08:41:56

We don't have wall cabinets either. We have a long narrow kitchen (rear extension) which is essentially a wide corridor with a door at each end. One long wall has no windows in so I put floor to ceiling cupboards along that one entire wall with microwave and freezer built in. The other wall I maximised light as this is where windows are by removing all cupboards and just have a worksurface with range oven and sink with drawers underneath my main work area. The under unit dishwasher, waste bins and undersink cupboard are at the far end near the back door which is handy for waste removal and food deliveries.

It looks much wider now compared to how it looked when I bought the house because of the optical illusion without over unit wall cupboards.

Lambzig Mon 15-Jun-15 08:49:57

Oh that's good to hear as DH loves the look, but fears we wont have the space so is very sceptical.

I don't plan to have anything on the work surfaces at all. I am usually very good at only having a kettle on there even in our current cramped (not touched since the 70s and the washing machine is in the middle of it) kitchen. I think I have lost the ability to judge what I need as the kitchen we have lived with for the past 18 months only has 7 cabinets, so most of our stuff got chucked or stored.

We will have a separate utility with 4 60cm wide base cabinets in too for all cleaning stuff/random shoe polish, stuff we rarely use.

I have already taken the mumsnet advice of getting deep drawers for most of the units.

While I am here, I don't want handles, I know about the mechanism on cupboards, but what do you put on handleless drawers?

MoreBeta Mon 15-Jun-15 08:50:10

I would love an island but to narrow for that.

However, we are planning to buy another house where we will demolish the old narrow back kitchen and build a wider one. Plan to build an entire wall of floor to ceiling range of cupboards with an integrated electric wall built into it housing all the appliances (ovens, microwave, coffeemaker, freezer, wine cooler). Then a central island running nearly full length of kitchen parallel to it used to prepare food with an induction hob and sink embedded and extractor over. The far end of the island will have space for snacking and drinking but a proper dining / seating area away from the island too.

MoreBeta Mon 15-Jun-15 08:56:43

Lambzig - yes I have a totally clear work surface too. I was considering one of those boiling water taps to erase the need for a kettle as well.

I wish I had done it now but chickened out at the cost. That said some of our granite is having to be replaced as it has a crack in it and might just have a hole drilled out and go for it. I like the ones that do cold water as well but the price still makes me blanche!

Are boiling water taps really worth the money?

MoreBeta Mon 15-Jun-15 09:03:19

We have handless deep drawers. Very useful and easy to clean. We just have the J handle which is in the top edge of the drawer. Some people have the soft close push open cupboards and drawers that you touch and they open. They cost much more though.

It is easily possible to be hoodwinked buying a kitchen. All the fancy stuff is where the suppliers make their money. Drawer inserts for knives and forks at £60 that really only cost £5 Wire racks that cost £90 that can bought for £10.

Be very careful what you are paying for. Its the little extras that cost and you can buy those separately. Do you really need an under plinth heater, pull out under unit shelf, LED lights under the base units, etc. The salespeople are very good at putting in high margin stuff you don't need.

Walnutpie Mon 15-Jun-15 09:08:30

Good tips Beta
How much is a hot water tap?

I love the idea of no cabinets on upper level, but I think it means a big larder somewhere, which takes up more floor space.

noddyholder Mon 15-Jun-15 09:13:58

I often do floor to ceiling shallow cabinets very very good at making a kitchen look huge but in fact take up no floor space as just deep enough for cans and jars etc odd cups and things

Lambzig Mon 15-Jun-15 09:17:24

I am planning on just getting an ikea kitchen and then spending the money on worktops (and definitely definitely one of those three in one boiling water taps). One of the guys who is now working with my builders used to be a kitchen fitter.

I did consider floor to ceiling cupboards, but I don't think a 2m x 1.2 m island is big enough for the sink and hob.

Would you bother with a built in microwave (would stick in the utility otherwise as rarely used)?

noddyholder Mon 15-Jun-15 09:19:59

This sort of thing is so useful and you can see everything shelf only about 15-18 cm gives impression of a deep larder

VeryPunny Mon 15-Jun-15 09:20:34

We have no wall cabinets along one side of our kitchen. It's a galley kitchen so would feel far too claustrophobic to have both sides covered in cabinets, and besides the wall with no cabinets has two windows on it.

We have one floor to ceiling larder unit, one enormous fridge unit with cupboard on top and the double oven unit with cupboards above/below. The rest is all drawers - as they are drawers, there is minimal bending down and all you have to do is open the drawer to see what's in it -no rootling around.

Half the reason we went to IKEA was the lack of hard sell and the fact that the prices you see are the prices you pay.

Hullygully Mon 15-Jun-15 09:26:22

j handle?

Walnutpie Mon 15-Jun-15 09:56:39

Noddy I think that would be lovely, and it's a brilliant idea. Trying to figure how it would work in practice cos you couldn't use the area in front of the cupboard.

Saving the pic to my ideas folder.

Hullygully Mon 15-Jun-15 10:10:32

I like that Noddy

noddyholder Mon 15-Jun-15 10:33:01

No it works really well in a narrow kitchen with units on one side I have done a whole wall got a carpenter to shelve it fully and then do full height painted doors, slim doors too not as deep as in picture 35cm max per door

fingernailsarepretty Mon 15-Jun-15 10:35:05

We have no wall units and I don't regret them - love the open feel. Recommend deep drawers more than cupboards at floor level. I have no issues bending down - much better than reaching up (I am 5 ft 3)

Ihavegottheclap Mon 15-Jun-15 10:38:05

Ah I really hate no wall cupboards and islands. Both, I think, are very 'now' but will look incredibly dated in a few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now