Advanced search

Best taps to buy

(11 Posts)
wowfudge Sun 14-Jun-15 08:35:08

This is largely a call for Piglet John because he has imparted much wisdom on this topic in the past, but I've done a search of Mumsnet and come up with nothing relevant.

We are finally (I will have to get the bunting out when it's done) getting our horrible bathroom re-done. We're after separate bath taps - I don't know why not a mixer, but it's DP's specific request - and either separate basin taps or a mixer with a spout you can move to the side. House is 1930s with lots of original features so we are looking for a more traditional style in chrome.

So suggestions of makes, specific designs, etc gratefully received. We are in a very soft water area and have high water pressure.

PigletJohn Sun 14-Jun-15 09:22:32


AwkwardSquad Sun 14-Jun-15 10:14:04

Having taken PigletJohn's advice re taps because we need new ones, I've been looking at Bristan taps and I've found two models that might suit you - Colonial and 1901. Both v reasonably priced from Screwfix. I haven't actually bought any yet, though, so this is only based on Internet searches.

PigletJohn Sun 14-Jun-15 12:49:34

1901 is particularly difficult to keep clean as it has no easyclean shroud.

Compare it to the Regency which is all smooth and rounded, though perhaps not to your taste..

wowfudge Sun 14-Jun-15 13:00:39

Great - thank you!

Agrestic Sun 14-Jun-15 17:06:21

(Sorry to highjack fudge!)

PigletJohn, who would you recommend for a kitchen mixer tap?

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 14-Jun-15 17:12:00

I've got Samuel Heath taps in my bathrooms. They are brilliant, they look beautiful, feel nice to use and have been very reliable.

My kitchen tap is a Franke, I think. It's fine, no leaks, easy clean, looks good and feels sturdy

PigletJohn Sun 14-Jun-15 17:48:21

For kitchens:

I like Bristan, but they mostly lack the fashionable square corners and sharp edges that people seem to like banging their hands on.

Franke and Grohe are well thought of.

Taps with elbow levers or chunky capstans are quite convenient when you have wet or greasy hands.

Preferably avoid the joystick ones with a single lever. When they go wrong, you will find replacements parts impossible or incredibly expensive. Look them up on the maker's website.

Have a look on Plumbworld who often have bargains. Architekt is their cheap rubbish range.

wowfudge Sun 14-Jun-15 20:24:27

Just to chip in on kitchen taps - when I had the kitchen re-done in our old place about ten years ago, I bought a gorgeous satin finish stainless steel mixer with a joystick lever. It looked amazing. Nine years later it had corroded inside, fell apart and had to be replaced. I bought a chrome replacement at half the cost.

MaudieDonkers Mon 15-Jun-15 23:35:48

Just to add, our plumber also recommended Bristan above all others so that's what we've gone with.

wowfudge Tue 16-Jun-15 07:37:36

I forgot - that beautiful kitchen tap that eventually fell apart was from Franke at great cost.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: