Talk

Advanced search

what to do with stained glass windows

(4 Posts)
Strictlyison Sat 13-Jun-15 16:24:59

Stroke of absolute luck, we have just found 8 panes of stained glass widows behind our shed (we moved here 10 years ago, and had absolutely no idea that these were behind the shed). Some are in top condition, others are a bit damaged but not beyond rescue. Any idea where to sell them/how/ or what to do with them? We've just had our windows changed and used some other stained glass windows that were already in the house. I think we will sell those but no idea where to start! Photo is of the nicest panel, we have two identical ones like that and other smaller windows. Thanks!

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Sat 13-Jun-15 16:41:45

We have lots of stained glass windows in our house. I understand that the correct term is 'leaded lights' but everyone knows what I mean when I call them stained glass windows.

Our house is Victorian and was single glazed throughout with timber frames. It was very cold and draughty, so last year, we put in timber framed double glazing throughout, and the stained glass was taken out and put into the timber frames. It looks amazing. Nobody would know that they weren't original frames, they've been done so sympathetically.

So now we have our original beautiful stained glass and a warm house.

I would recommend the firm that did ours if you're considering doing something similar.

Strictlyison Sat 13-Jun-15 16:57:27

We've just had our windows done and they reproduced (very nicely) the original leaded lights in wooden frames, it cost us an arm and a leg! We have also had some of the original leaded lights in some of the internal windows (our house was built in the '30s). We have no use for the ones we have just found... Shame we didn't find them last year!

CrystalSkull Sat 13-Jun-15 20:24:49

I'd be very grateful to anyone who could personally recommend companies that work with stained glass. We have a lot of it too and some is cracked and will need to be restored/replaced. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now