Talk

Advanced search

Devon. Help please

(10 Posts)
Olsbird1 Sat 13-Jun-15 12:57:53

Can any of you lovely ladies recommend a place to live which is by the sea, pretty, things to do and a normalish demographic..... We have been looking for ages and just can't seem to find somewhere that fits the bill.... Looking really for hol home in the short term but with a view to retiring there. We are late 40's. Thanks in advance for any tips

GunShotResidue Sat 13-Jun-15 15:36:57

Im from Westward Ho! and very biased, but I think it's lovely. There's a few local events, there and in Bideford/Barnstaple. What kind of things do you like doing?

storybrooke Sat 13-Jun-15 15:59:58

My family have a home in Brixham, I can't express what an amazing town that is and has been in the years I've been going there (since birth!).

Theres the harbour, beaches, the big ship, markets, boat to Paignton (another super place), Torquay across the water, breathtaking walks to explore and the people are again amazing. I'd be living there given the chance. Admittedly, I've not been there in a few years as we now live in scotland but definitely pop that on your list grin

cece Sat 13-Jun-15 16:35:12

Braunton

FrontLoader Sat 13-Jun-15 19:44:33

Topsham (on the Exe Estuary), Budleigh Salterton, Salcome, Sidmouth, Dartmouth, and I second Brixham. It really depends if you want to be on a sandy beach or mind being slightly inland. East Devon is lovely if you'd consider East Budleigh or Lympstone Village.

Also North or South coast- which do you prefer? Northam, Ilfracombe or Morthoe/ Woolacombe are lovely- Northam is a bit quieter than Westward Hoe but has good amenities. Again, it depends if you'd rather be in a town or a village. Some of the North Devon villages can feel pretty isolated.

CharlesRyder Sat 13-Jun-15 19:50:12

Definitely Devon? How about Lyme Regis?

Chchchchangeabout Sat 13-Jun-15 19:54:02

Rye is lovely but not in Devon though. Why Devon?

Wotsitsareafterme Sat 13-Jun-15 19:54:35

Teignmouth. My DM has retired there and we all love it. You can live there without having to leave it to buy things as it has a busy town centre with actually some fab shopping. And a wait rose grin
It has a huge stretch of sandy beach plus the sheltered back beach with a tiny ferry to Shaldon which is very chic.
It's very close to Dartmoor but also Exeter for shopping and culture. Teignmouth has lots of live music venues and cultural societies plus a museum.

Otherwise Sidmouth is utterly stunning and Beer up the coast is too.

IloveCheese11 Sun 14-Jun-15 16:36:45

Response from my DH who is Devon born and bred.......

Beer and Branscombe are beautiful picturesque villages which are right on the coast. Beer has more local amenities with a couple of shops, 3 decent pubs and a few restaurants etc. It even has 3 beach cafes. Branscombe is smaller (it's one of the longest villages in the UK I think) and has 2 pubs and a small village shop.

Sidmouth is a proper town - but has a predominantly older population.

Axmouth is a lovely village with 2 pubs but is right next to Seaton which I don't like but it has a range of supermarkets etc.

Colyton is 3 miles inland (my home town!) and is cheaper than Beer and Branscombe. It has a few small shops, tons of old houses and is very picturesque.

PM me if you have any questions as I know East Devon (and West Dorset) very well. Lyme Regis is lovely but it's higher in price than Beer and Branscombe. Without knowing your budget and what you're looking for (old/new house etc) it's hard to suggest places.

HoundPaws Sun 14-Jun-15 22:15:04

I'm in East devon and would recommend Lyme Regis (Dorset devon border) Bridport (a little further into Dorset) Sidmouth Colyton or a bit further in land maybe Honiton or Axminster for better value. Seaton is ok but not very exciting. You can't really beat the area I love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now