Talk

Advanced search

To buy or not to buy - surveyor is concerned

(22 Posts)
Janeyspamey Fri 12-Jun-15 22:52:42

Long story short (ish). Our mortgage valuation agreed with asking price but surveyor has real concerns. We've spoken on the phone but he's offered not to charge for the survey if we decide not to go ahead and receive the report. He has given me a list of the 20 odd things that mainly concern him (drains, electrics, plumbing, roof, woodworm, stairs, damp). I've used him before so I trust his opinion but it seems more his gut instinct about the dodgy diy than anything really specific that is making him concerned. He reckons property is worth another 10% less than we offered (another 40k less). What would you do wise mumsnetters? Options are pull out ie without getting survey so as not to incur any more expense or get survey and try and negotiate money off?

Mopmay Fri 12-Jun-15 22:56:14

How much do you love the house. Our report was full of stuff. We wanted the house. We knew house needed work. 2 years later I have no idea where the report is...

Janeyspamey Sat 13-Jun-15 06:57:07

I don't love love the house iyswim. It's the fact that it's in the area we need and it's got a lot of space. The same house anywhere else wouldn’t be of any interest

stillnotjustamummy Sat 13-Jun-15 07:22:04

Don't buy it! We bought an older house and the survey noted several similar bits that needed work. But once we started that work it uncovered a whole raft of issues, many caused by shoddy DIY and lack of maintenance. Leaking roof, hideous damp, insane heating & plumbing issues to name a few. I wish we hadn't bought it and until we fix it I'm not sure we could sell it.

Chchchchangeabout Sat 13-Jun-15 07:26:20

I wouldn't do it

ClaudiaNaughton Sat 13-Jun-15 07:29:16

Unless it was the perfect house in other ways and at a very good price I'd run for the hills. How good of the surveyor to pre warn you.

Foxyboombastic Sat 13-Jun-15 07:32:10

I'm a (former) surveyor and we don't warn people about this stuff unless it genuinely concerns us. Don't buy the house. Things like plumbing and woodworm are not minor / cosmetic and could end up costing you tens of thousands. Either offer the lower price (if you really want the house) or walk away.

Mopmay Sat 13-Jun-15 08:32:11

Unless it's your dream house and you are happy to spend lots then walk away or knock lots off the price. We walked away from a few like this

Janeyspamey Sat 13-Jun-15 09:29:17

The surveyor said he's concerned because he knows that we would be putting all our savings into buying the house. if we had £20k in savings to pay for any problems then he said he'd feel better about the prospect

Bunbaker Sat 13-Jun-15 09:32:36

Walk away. We bought a moneypit of a house with a lot of those problems and it was a constant battle to keep the damp and woodworm away.

Penfold007 Sat 13-Jun-15 09:36:59

If you go ahead with attempt to purchase you'll get the expensive survey and so will the mortgage provider. They will then reduce the amount they will lend.
Take his advice and generous offer, pull out.

Janeyspamey Sat 13-Jun-15 09:41:05

The mortgage valuation has been done and valued at asking price. I think though that the surveyor was more thorough and the vendor was there when he did his inspection and was a bit too open about defects

Penfold007 Sat 13-Jun-15 10:07:28

Mortgage valuations can and are reviewed when surveys highlight issues. If you go ahead and anything happens you have no protection. Paying 10% more than a property is worth is madness.

lalalonglegs Sat 13-Jun-15 10:26:23

So he's worried because you have no contingency if you pay the agreed amount? Can you try negotiating 5-10% off to allow for these necessary works? Have you received the written report? If not, and as you seem to have a good rapport with the surveyor, can you ask him to write it in as black and white terms as possible so that you can show it to the agents and, possibly, to the vendor.

mrschatty Sat 13-Jun-15 10:31:15

If its not your dream 'I can't imagine living elsewhere' house don't do it.
I'd you think your going to sell up in the future things may be even worse by that point you may be stuck with a money pit like pp said and resent every day of it!

Northernlurker Sat 13-Jun-15 10:36:46

He's telling you not to buy it. Listen to him!

HereIAm20 Sat 13-Jun-15 13:35:29

Exactly what Northern Lurker says!

You paid for a full survey rather than just the mortgage valuation so rely on what you are being told. He is telling you there is at least £40k worth of work to do (if not more - always hidden extras). It's also necessary work so will need to be dealt with or risk no one else buying it in the future or the consequences of further damage to the property if not dealt with. why did you get a survey if you were not going to follow the surveyor's advice?

Kitsmummy Sat 13-Jun-15 14:54:50

I can't for the life of me understand why he's not going to charge you for the report if you pull out. He is a surveyor, he does surveys, good and bad ones so god knows why he'd not charge you for this one!

It makes me wonder if he actually likes the house and wants it himself?

Janeyspamey Sat 13-Jun-15 19:21:26

I think it's more likely that he's worried that if there is anything he had missed and is
even worse than he's suggested that he'll be sued later. If I don't go ahead and thus don't need the survey he never has to officially say anything. That's my guess anyway

Janeyspamey Sat 13-Jun-15 19:28:39

Personally though I do feel sorry that surveyors have to feel like this because it must affect how they write up any report.
I also have to say that while he might be worried about the potential for litigation I don't believe that really is he's main concern: more that I've already paid for one report on another property and if this doesn't go ahead will be asking him to survey another. If I also pay for this I'll have paid for potentially three reports. I do agree that he's done the work and for this reason I agree he should be paid regardless of the consequences

yomellamoHelly Sat 13-Jun-15 19:35:37

There's always more to do to a house than you anticipate. So I think I would back out while you can.

ClaudiaNaughton Sat 13-Jun-15 19:36:18

He's visited the property but not written full report and is giving you chance not to go ahead. As he has worked for you before and might again on another house I think he's being kind. Perhaps the writing of a full report is what is the expensive part and he's just jotted notes so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now