Talk

Advanced search

Why not put up interior photos of a house for sale? Your experiences.

(17 Posts)
HubertCumberdale Fri 12-Jun-15 08:24:00

I'm having a hard time trying to buy a house and am willing to go view anything. There is a nice looking house online, very well kept front, impecible garden, but no interior photos.

Has anyone visited a house that didn't have interior photos? Was it obvious why once you got inside?

Kindof want to go and look out of curiosity now. Maybe that's their intent.

AlisonBlunderland Fri 12-Jun-15 08:26:38

Possibly tenants in situ who have refused access for photos (as is their right)
Ask agent how easy it is to arrange viewings

Chrysanthemum5 Fri 12-Jun-15 08:26:56

Our house had no interior pictures for a good reason. It was horrible inside - filthy and everything had to be ripped out and replaced. The upside is that we got a house we couldn't normally afford, and we were young enough to be willing to live in filth and do all the work ourselves!

Chrysanthemum5 Fri 12-Jun-15 08:28:06

Oh and the front garden was well kept but the back garden was a jungle. I Think they did the minimum they could do to sell

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 12-Jun-15 08:31:42

Before Rightmove etc, nobody saw the interior of a house before they bought it. Estate agents sales sheets only had one photo of the outside of the house and a written description of the interior layout, size of rooms etc.

Eg "large lounge with dual aspect leading to small kitchen in need of modernisation". That kind of thing.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 12-Jun-15 08:42:01

We viewed one house with no interior photos. In our case it was a repossession & still full of the owners belongings at the time the photos were taken.
Interior shots were added later, after the skips had been & gone.

I definitely wouldn't let a lack of.photos put me off viewing a property.

lightgreenglass Fri 12-Jun-15 08:48:47

Because the interior is full of crap or needs a total overhaul. That's what ours was, still went to view and after overhaul and several skips it's now my near perfect home.

HubertCumberdale Fri 12-Jun-15 09:05:24

Thank you, I'm prepared for a ghastly interior but the description doesn't mention modernisation being needed so I think I'll give it a view.

Hoping it's just full of old lady tat and floral wallpaper

Mitzimaybe Fri 12-Jun-15 13:48:20

If it's in the area you want and a reasonable price then I'd view it. Occasionally the estate agent hasn't got the keys by the time they take the photos so they just stick up exterior ones with a view to adding interior shots later.

CrispyFB Fri 12-Jun-15 14:29:01

We refused internal photographs when the landlords put our rented place up for sale. There were a few reasons really.

First one being that having been suddenly given our two months notice, we were a whirlwind of decluttering and there was no way we were prepared to make the place look "nice" for photos and add to our workload. With four young children including a baby we were in survival mode trying to sort everything out as it was and beyond stressed with getting a mortgage (plus my granny died and DS (4) was having major meltdowns at home and school, and suspected HFA) So we exercised our right to quiet enjoyment and refused. An owner selling a house usually has the luxury of time and choice to market (and wouldn't do it when the shit is hitting the fan in other areas of their life either!) so it can be a lot more presentable.

Second one was a bit more "precious" in that we're very private people and I knew for a fact that half the school parents watch Rightmove like a hawk. When I said which house we were buying, most nodded sagely and asked "oh, the one with the red door" even though they're not looking themselves! Having our temporarily very messy house on display for anyone with an Internet connection was mortifying.

We let them take external shots but in the end they decided (although they did not tell us, we just lived in suspense angry) that they weren't going to market the place until we moved out anyway. Which was a wise choice as the place was chaotic with the move and would put many buyers off, and we left the place immaculate, even the check out clerk was impressed. Whoever buys the place is a very lucky buyer!

LokiPokey Fri 12-Jun-15 15:01:41

No photos can be because it's a repossessed property or owner passed away or tennant's not allowing access.
Generally though they tend to be a but run down and require work or modernisation.

Don't let it put you off though smile

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 12-Jun-15 17:05:09

* I didn't mean
N "bought it" obvs. blush. I meant "viewed it". No one would buy a house before they viewed it!!

wowfudge Fri 12-Jun-15 18:13:45

With the exception of somewhere tenanted where the tenants haven't allowed photos, it's usually because there's something 'wrong' with the place so photos of everything but the bathroom means there's a mint green bathroom suite or similar horror. No photo of the kitchen means it needs a total overhaul, etc.

nemno Fri 12-Jun-15 18:18:49

I have come across all of the reasons above and one more. Our neighbour was the owner but didn't allow interior shots because of privacy issues. Her house was immaculate but yes, usually it means a doer-upper or tenants.

Dugongdog73 Fri 12-Jun-15 18:46:36

We recently visited a house with no internal pictures and it was a shock - like something from one of those hoarders programmes! I think there is usually a good reason for no internal photos but that doesn't mean you should discount it, just be prepared...

CrispyFB Fri 12-Jun-15 20:42:49

Heh, yeah - when we sold our place a few years back there were photos of everything except our avocado bathroom suite we'd given up on ever getting round to replacing!!

Littlefish Fri 12-Jun-15 20:45:47

There were no pictures of the inside of our house because it was completely awful. It had been not been lived in for 2 years and had not been modernised for about 30 years, if not more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now