Talk

Advanced search

House been on market almost 2 weeks, only 1 viewing

(61 Posts)
Snikamj Wed 10-Jun-15 19:35:27

We're first time sellers so not sure what to expect, does this sound right or should I expect more interest?

We had a viewing at the weekend, feedback from EA was very positive - house beautifully presented, very impressed with the space etc but ultimately the couple thought it was a little too large for them and the layout of the bedrooms wasn't quite what they felt would work for them.

EA have a very good reputation locally, they say they've sent out our property details to those on their database, we have a For Sale sign up, on Rightmove etc...

Any ideas of what I should expect at this point?

differentlight Wed 10-Jun-15 19:41:09

Maybe it is priced too highly... I would expect more viewings in early days, but depends what market is like in your area. Good luck!

wigglylines Wed 10-Jun-15 19:47:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:49:04

If it's been on for 2 weeks and you have had only 1 viewing the reasons may be:

The market is slow in your area
The Price of your house
The inside layout/decor

Which do you think it is?

QuiteLikely5 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:49:17

Can you post a link?

QuiteLikely5 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:49:46

Not in a good school catchment?

QuiteLikely5 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:51:01

I don't think it's fair to blame the agent at this stage.

Every single person I know goes to right move to look anyway.

It's the house not the agent imo.

Snikamj Wed 10-Jun-15 19:57:52

Market seems to be moving reasonably well in this area, couple of places have sold in our village in the last 6 weeks or so.

I don't think it's overpriced for what it offers but im willing to be proved wrong!

I have concerns that tge back garden is small in relation to the price of the house though.

Can't get my phone to allow me to paste a link for some reason - on rightmove it's PE32 2PT 4 bed bungalow.

woodleydoodle Wed 10-Jun-15 20:14:20

I don't like the living room being upstairs.
I would chose a colour and stain all the fence panels.

wowfudge Wed 10-Jun-15 20:20:10

It's just been school holiday time - things might pick up over the next couple of weeks.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 10-Jun-15 20:23:21

OK. I've found it. Is the lounge ceiling really as low in places as it look on the photo? I would be put off by a lounge where I could only stand up in the middle! Also, are the windows in the lounge all skylights?

It's a very nice house but probably feels unusual to have the lounge upstairs rather than one or two of the bedrooms. Especially as the playroom is downstairs. I could hardly supervise DD in the playroom whilst sitting on the sofa in your house could I? blush

I think it'll be a matter of waiting for someone who likes the unusual layout to come along. I can't see any other issues smile.

Hillingdon Wed 10-Jun-15 20:24:37

Could you put some attractive pots in the front and back garden or even some hanging baskets.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Wed 10-Jun-15 20:25:40

I agree that it is very well presented. Lovely looking kitchen and bathroom. Well kept garden.

But I would not like the living room being upstairs with only velux windows. I would really struggle with that, and definitely wouldn't expect it in a bungalow. So I would wonder which of the ground floor rooms would be my living room, and it would have to be your playroom. And, for me, that room is too small.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 10-Jun-15 20:29:35

Ours has been on for 4 weeks and we've had no viewings sad

Small village here so not like there are lots of people looking in the area, people tend to specifically want to live here, when they do then they buy what is there. I just hope someone specifically wants to live here soon!

lampshady Wed 10-Jun-15 20:33:19

Oh gosh, I love it! I would have never considered that layout but I think it's brilliant.

I've always been the worst person to provide feedback. Maybe potential buyers can't see any development/extention opportunities?

onepieceoflollipop Wed 10-Jun-15 20:35:23

As others have said I think it is the sitting room on the first floor. Some people are very traditional and can't see the potential. For example I would not let that put me off, I would earmark it as a teen room and look at rejigging the downstairs. You will get the right person who is flexible assuming it is not overpriced?

Amazing parking area...you won't be starting a parking thread any time soon (unless someone abandons a double decker there!)

DrElizabethPlimpton Wed 10-Jun-15 20:37:47

I think the problem is that most people wouldn't want the sitting room upstairs with just velux windows.

My suggestion to anyone buying, would be to take out bed 2 and en suite and knock through to dining room to make a big reception room.

The upstairs could then become a master bed room suite. Ideally a bathroom up there too, but that coul be costly.

Another solution would be to knock through the playroom and bed 4 to the kitchen and make it a big kitchen/dinner and have the dinning room as a family room.

I'm sure you won't want to do this, but drawing up plans and getting a costing from a builder might help potential purchasers see the huge potential this house has.
Best of luck

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 10-Jun-15 20:42:51

I like it by the way Snikamj, seems nice and bright and spacious. I don't know anything about the area and prices so I can't comment on that. I don't see the upstairs living room as a problem as the family living room/playroom is fine, I seethe upstairs one as more for evenings. Are there many bungalows around? Is it just that most families tend to want a house rather than a bungalow? I see it more as the sort of thing MIL was looking for when she bought recently, somewhere nice, not old granny house, space for all the grandchildren to visit but also future proof in terms of downstairs bedrooms and shower rooms. It is lovely.

GirlInterupted Wed 10-Jun-15 20:43:21

Youve basically got your living room in the loft. It would feel very claustrophobic with only skylights.

stilllovingmysleep Wed 10-Jun-15 20:44:29

I agree, I think it's the living room upstairs that may be the issue. It's not that usual to have the living room far from the kitchen. However, it's just a matter of waiting to find the right people who this will appeal too. If it were me & I was buying your house (which is very beautiful and well presented) I too would be thinking that the upstairs room could be a playroom / family room & the downstairs playroom, despite being smaller, could be living room so that it's near the kitchen.

wigglylines Wed 10-Jun-15 20:49:45

Was I deleted for recommending a certain online estate agent?! confused

I got that recommendation from mumsnet in the first place! And it worked well for us.

I'm surprised, it's not as if I work from them, and I've been a member here for aons.

Are we not allowed to recommend companies to each other anymore?

wigglylines Wed 10-Jun-15 20:54:52

There is nothing in the guidelines about not recommending companies.

It says you shouldn't recommend your own company, but one look at my posting history will show I've been here ages and rarely post on property boards. I'm not an estate agent!]]

It's a shame as we were recommended that online estate agent by several mumsnetters and using an online agent saved us about £5k.

I'm off to Site Stuff ...

leccybill Wed 10-Jun-15 20:56:46

It's a lovely house.
I'd put the wendy house in the back garden though, away from the road, and same with the table and chairs.
Some pots with a bit of greenery/colour around the doorway would look nice (and be cheap).

Snikamj Wed 10-Jun-15 20:57:56

Thank you everyone for your feedback on the house.

Yes the living room is unconventional, I guess I hadn't really thought about just how much it is! It suits us perfectly, we've lived here for 17yrs and we extended/converted the loft around 7yrs ago and as we had no intention of moving we kind of based it on our lifestyle (2 teenagers, 2 younger children) and it works very well.

There is plenty of space at the back of the property to extend the playroom to make a bigger living room if people were prepared to do that. I've always sat in the playroom with the children and used the upstairs for evenings/entertaining.

The back garden is so bare purely because we've made it bigger - we used to share a driveway with next door and park round at the back of the house which has now become 2/3rds of the garden. The huge front driveway used to be lawned and was our main garden. Hence the different coloured fence panels as work was only completed a few weeks ago. Painting the panels is on my list of 'to do'!

BeaufortBelle Wed 10-Jun-15 21:04:02

How on earth do you find a property on Rightmove by quoting PE32 2PE. Is a post-code?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now