Talk

Advanced search

Removing traces of masking tape from window panes

(17 Posts)
PlainHunting Wed 10-Jun-15 14:54:55

I painted a window frame on Monday, have come to remove the tape from the glass today and it has been a real struggle to get it off and has left lots of sticky residue.

I've googled and have tried removing it with nail varnish remover, Lakeland Sticky Stuff remover, washing up liquid and hot water, WD-40, and none of them are working that well. Nail varnish remover is the best of the lot but it is a painfully slow and laborious process. Is there anything else I could try?

SomewhereovertheRainbow02 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:19:05

oooh I'm interested to see what people come up with as I have the same problem on my front door

Celeriacacaca Wed 10-Jun-15 20:57:38

White spirit or methylated spirits on a cotton ball should remove it.

PlainHunting Wed 10-Jun-15 21:00:07

Will try that. Don't want to remove the paint though as it inevitably drips down.

I've spent 5 hours today trying to remove it and it still looks awful. I reckon it will take most of tomorrow too. <sobs>

Dh has helpfully pointed out that there is a special type of masking tape that doesn't create this problem. I used B&Q economy tape.

Suttonmum1 Wed 10-Jun-15 21:00:36

Surgical spirit?

CakeUpWall Wed 10-Jun-15 21:05:52

Furniture polish seems to magically dissolve residue from sticky labels. Worth a try!

CarpeJugulum Wed 10-Jun-15 21:08:03

Little bit of oil - cooking oil works okay. That sticks to the stick, makes it into a black stringy mass (lovely!) and then you can sort of scrape that stuff off - I used a car ice scraper very carefully.

Ladyface Wed 10-Jun-15 21:08:10

There is some spray called sticky stuff which removes adhesive. It's in a yellow can - I think I got it from Homebase. It still needs a bit of elbow grease though to get it off.

Spottygreentowel Wed 10-Jun-15 21:13:49

Look for a razor scraper - £2ish on eBay, v easy & quick.

PlainHunting Wed 10-Jun-15 21:36:07

Thank you all for these great ideas. smile

Don't want to risk a scraper (very old windows, listed building, ) but going to try all the others.

skinoncustard Thu 11-Jun-15 02:34:08

Scraper is the best and quickest , keep the blade tight to the glass.
Cooking oil, furniture polish, surgical spirit etc none of that will touch gloss paint (which I assume it is.)
Always, always remove the masking tape when the paint is wet.
There is no 'special masking tape ' to stop this happening . If you leave the tape on till the paints dry this is what happens, you also risk lifting bits of paint from the window as you remove the tape .

MyFriendsCallMeOh Thu 11-Jun-15 02:36:38

As other have said, a razor blade scraper will do it, use a new blade and keep it close to the glass, won't hurt it. Where I live, they don't mask windows, just paint and scrape the paint off the glass afterwards.

TheEmpressofBlandings Thu 11-Jun-15 09:10:59

I have got some adhesive remover, can't remember the brand but it's in a red tin bottle. Brilliant stuff, just dab it on with a dry cloth, leave for a few minutes then wipe it away. Any diy store should have it.

HayFeverHell Thu 11-Jun-15 09:14:21

Nail polish remover.

PlainHunting Thu 11-Jun-15 10:51:07

Well, I experimented with a few different options and the quickest and easiest way, by some distance, was...

<drumroll>

Furniture polish combined with a scraper with very a sharp and clean new blade.

Thank you all, particularly those who reassured me about scrapers. Would never have risked it without this thread!

Itscoldouthere Thu 11-Jun-15 12:12:02

lighter fluid believe it or not, we used to use it all the time to clean up work.

chelle792 Thu 11-Jun-15 12:16:54

OH is a painter and decorator - he swears by sugar soap for everything. I cleaned my nan's grimy kitchen with it once and I tell you....amazing grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now