Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom cladding instead of tiles

(20 Posts)
Howcanitbe Tue 09-Jun-15 22:18:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelenF350 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:43:43

We have it in the shower. Personally I hate it. I think it looks awful (I hate the strips for joining it and it looks cheap imho) and it's difficult to clean properly. Give me tiles any day. I wouldn't have chosen it, it was there when we moved in.

Howcanitbe Tue 09-Jun-15 22:51:58

HelenF350 Tue 09-Jun-15 23:04:14

I find it worse to clean than the shower screen, and it still never looks as clean as I'd like! That may be just the type we have though, I have nothing to compare it to.

Howcanitbe Wed 10-Jun-15 06:44:23

Bearbehind Wed 10-Jun-15 06:54:10

Our builder tried to talk us into having cladding but I think it's ugly stuff.

It looks too commercial to me- like something you'd have in a swimming pool changing rooms.

Tiles might be more expensive but I'm happier with the end result.

ChunkyPickle Wed 10-Jun-15 06:55:15

I've looked at this myself - and it seems it comes in plastic extruded style, which feels cheap, and is very cheap, and mdf/ply backed stuff which is more expensive (knocking on the door of cheap tiles by that point), then there's the rolls royce which is is giant glass panels which are very expensive but very nice.

You don't need to have the joining strips any more - they join up like floor laminate - at least all the ones I've looked at have.

I'm actually considering the super-cheap extruded plastic, because it's cheap enough that I could see how it looked, and replace in a couple of years if it's that bad.

I'm totally going for it on the ceiling - I hate the artex which always gets covered in mould so a glossy white seems like a good idea.

Howcanitbe Wed 10-Jun-15 07:22:20

controlaltdlete Wed 10-Jun-15 07:38:43

Our builder wanted us to have this too. It wasn't to my taste.
We went for big, white, bumpy tiles in the shower and tongue & groove elsewhere.

Howcanitbe Wed 10-Jun-15 07:58:24

buggerthebotox Wed 10-Jun-15 08:04:01

I have it, although it was in the house when we moved in. I hate it. It looks naff BUT it is very practical. I wouldn't consider it now, but I can see why it gets recommended by builders. Tiles are hideously expensive!

I'm planning on painting mine.

Howcanitbe Wed 10-Jun-15 08:14:31

Bearbehind Wed 10-Jun-15 08:21:02

I think it was to make his life easier tbh. Not sure why though as we were willing to pay the extra cost for tiles and the labour involved.

I do wonder if some builders get big discounts on it from suppliers though?

Rosings25 Wed 10-Jun-15 08:30:02

In our new build I have specified aqua panel as I don't want to clean grout and do want to use the minimum of cleaning products and effort. I have not yet defined the pattern as I am having enough trouble with pictures of the wall hung vanity units that do not show the basin and in one showroom all the drawers were awkward to open.

hotandbothered24 Wed 10-Jun-15 08:34:04

I think it depends what type you have, the acrylic panels that look like coloured glass are nice and we have them in one of our showers. But the stuff that looks nice is going to be more expensive than tiles. Not having any grout to clean is a real bonus.

Howcanitbe Wed 10-Jun-15 08:37:23

ChunkyPickle Wed 10-Jun-15 09:16:15

I think it would be tough to replace one panel - much like floor laminate.

I've got samples of it, and it's pretty tough - I gave even the cheap entirely plastic one some really good whacks with a crowbar before it broke!

The aquapanel style is rather like a kitchen worktop - a veneer over the backing, it's also pretty tough, but more of a pain to fit because it has to be cut to size, and it's heavy to deliver.

Personally I'm hating the whole hotel bathroom stone tiles, or public toilet subway tile thing that's going around, and I just want something that'll be wipe clean for a few years while the kids are little.

The only problem I'm seeing with the extruded stuff (which is very much like that plastic shiplap cladding you see on some houses - but with invisible joins) is that it's a little under a cm thick, and I'm not sure how wall fittings will look going through it, as it'll definitely pull in as you tighten them (and you'll need long screws).

My thought is that how often do I really touch my bathroom walls? Almost never, and I almost never look closely at them, so it's worth a punt on the cheap stuff. I think it'd look better than those cheap, square, white tiles that I might otherwise do.

Gatekeeper Wed 10-Jun-15 09:21:14

I hate ours...

you still get mould growing along the joins if you are not careful and esp where it fits into the trim around the bath. For something that wasn't particularity cheap it looks awfully cheap IYSWIM

Howcanitbe Wed 10-Jun-15 20:45:13

hooker29 Wed 10-Jun-15 22:01:49

We have it and it's brilliant! Hubby bought it through work;ours is called Geopanel and was one of the first one's to come out- after we decided to re tile the bathroom,only to discover that the whole of the wall behind the tiles around the bath/shower was soaking wet;as hubby was taking the tiles off the whole of the plaster fell into the bath.He ordered the cladding and all that had to be done to the wall was to put some plaster board on it then the cladding.It fitted together really well cleans easily,and doesn't let any water through.None of the joints on ours have gone mouldy and we've had it for about 7 years now.
It is similar to a hotel bathroom, but I'd rather look at that than mouldy grout.And I don't spend huge amounts of time in the bathroom so it doesn't really bother me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now