Talk

Advanced search

Buying kitchen online

(25 Posts)
NNat Tue 09-Jun-15 21:31:24

Hi, I'm planning kitchen renovation, started looking at options and got a bit lost. So far I've seen Ikea (keep it as an option, but not too excited) and Magnet (some lovely things but very ££). Dismissed John Lewis, B&Q and Homebase. I'll try Howdens this weekend but not paying too much hopes given their reputation of being too £ to. I have some average budget but want to buy something which would last me good 20+ years (I HATE renovations)

I've noticed some really interesting options online, but either no showrooms or they would be too far to go (I live in London)

Do you have any experience of buying kitchen online? if yes, any hints and tips?

obsessedwithinteriors Tue 09-Jun-15 21:43:00

DIY Kitchens are unbeatable for quality and value. Search them on here. Get Magnet (crap quality) or Howdens (average quality) to come out and do your drawings for you and then send the drawings to DIY who will cost it all up for you. Your price from DIY will honestly be two thirds cheaper for better quality. it's not scary at all as long as you double check all the measurements. Get handles from ironmongers and appliances from Appliances Online and go through Boots so you get points back.

Ask for discounts on everything - tiling, plastering and say you'll pay cash, Most local councils offer a bulky collection service - 6 items or under - £25 to have your fridge freezer, cooker, hob, sink, extractor etc taken away.

Pack the kitchen units (unassembled) into car and take to local tip - that's £250 saved for a skip straight away! Good luck.

NNat Tue 09-Jun-15 22:06:20

Thank you Obsessed! Sorry for very silly q but DIY means B&Q? I read some really very negative reviews so didn't want to try but I might do now

mandy214 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:18:07

I've also used DIY Kitchens (nothing to do with B&Q) but I did visit their showroom before I ordered. I made use of the Ikea planning tool to picture the design and then spoke to DIY Kitchens to check the "design" and measurements. They were really helpful. If you search these threads there are lots of people who have used them. As obsessed says, if you shop around for the extras, it really can be done cheaply to achieve a high-end finish. I also used Boots Appliances on line, used a local quartz supplier and got an offcut for my island unit, haggled. Kept my eye out for offers / sales / my local Facebook selling group for bits and bobs.

obsessedwithinteriors Tue 09-Jun-15 22:42:34

Hi Nat, it's a bit confusing, but not B and Q. This is the DIY Kitchens site: www.diy-kitchens.com/

They've just had a 10% sale on, (just ended), but if you phone up and ask for Steve (not connected to me in anyway!) and say you didn't manage to order in time, they should honour the discount.

I am doing this for a friend as a first time interior design project.

Re: tops, she wanted real wood, but after reading all the reviews on here about it going black with water etc and the amount of maintenance decided to go for laminate instead.

Was going to go for Duropal laminate, but in the end I chose Omega, Natural Blocked Oak in Ultramatt (NO59) for her. It is absolutely beautiful and really does feel and look like real wood.

She is having cream shaker doors, light pewter cup handles and knobs, oak laminate tops, white metro tiles, white ceramic sink and chrome tap. Can't wait, I hope it will look very classical and elegant!

Good luck, I am utterly useless, but have loved every minute of planning this. I asked question after question, no matter how silly I sounded. Go to the showrooms for ideas/pinterest is good too.

obsessedwithinteriors Tue 09-Jun-15 22:46:31

Oh and read this with a cuppa: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/a1554664-The-MN-lessons-learnt-kitchen-thread

It's the 'MN lessons learnt kitchen thread', 13 pages packed full of fantastic advice!

cgehansen Wed 10-Jun-15 09:28:38

I know you say you've discounted Homebase but the Odina range in there is good quality and not expensive. It's made by Nobilia and IMO much better quality than the budget UK offerings.

Walnutpie Wed 10-Jun-15 10:29:13

I've heard that homebase is a nightmare to work with.

DIY gets consistently excellent reviews.

obsessedwithinteriors Wed 10-Jun-15 10:41:45

Homebase, B and Q and Magnet trade on the fact that they are 'high street brands', so many people think oh, it must be good because it's B and Q. Not the case at all and they charge a fortune!

AND Band Q, Magnet and Homebase it all comes flat packed!!! You've then got to pay your fitter more money to build it it all! At least with DIY it comes assembled - another massive bonus.

Loumate666 Wed 10-Jun-15 11:35:45

Another +1 from me for DIY Kitchens

Walnutpie Wed 10-Jun-15 11:40:10

I was wondering about making a trip and going to the DIY showrooms. It seems worth the schlep. To pontefract! I'd probably find a b&b to stay overnight..I don't know the area at all, or if it might be too tiring to do it as a day trip on the train.

A lot of the doors they sell are by Second Nature and you can find a local showroom that sells those, to get a visual.

NNat Wed 10-Jun-15 12:13:16

I googled DIY kitchens and it's seems to be a really attractive option, they do get consistently good reviews. Will try to find some Second Nature showroom in London - I feel shaky making such huge decision without actually seeing the product.

Has anyone tried something like www.kutchenhaus.co.uk/ or thekitchenlink.co.uk/german__kitchens.php?
German kitchens have super good reputation as well - I wonder how they stand comparing to DIY

mandy214 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:20:07

My only knowledge of kutchenhaus is that there used to be one on a local retail park about 5 years ago, closed down after about a year.

Beckyt80 Wed 10-Jun-15 18:09:46

I have just put in a DIY kitchen and would second everyone else's positive reviews. Better quality for lower price. We particularly liked the flexibility of colours if you are going for painted cupboards. We made the trip to pontefract (from surrey) just to check we were making the right decision. We did the trip in a day (Friday!!!) and it wasn't too bad. If you went by train I think the station is fairly close by. One thing to note is that one thing we were hoping to make a decision on when we were there was handles and annoyingly they did not have all of them available to view. The show room is massive though so worth a view as we actually changed our colour choice after going up there.

firesidechat Thu 11-Jun-15 08:05:10

We've just taken a holiday in Yorkshire and took the opportunity to drop in on the DIY kitchens showroom. We are now seriously considering them for our new kitchen. The quality was excellent (drawer bottoms were very solid and it looked as well built as any of the other kitchen companies we have looked at.

We also found the Wren kitchens showroom in York and that was an experience and a half. It has the most amazing set ups, is very slick and we did a fair bit of oohing and aahing. The choice of colours was pretty impressive.

Having said that I thought the build quality of DIY kitchens was easily as good as Wren and maybe even slightly better. The style of showroom and it's salesman is very laid back and casual, but they are happy to help if you ask. We are looking for painted doors and we took away a handful of painted wood samples to try at home, which was very useful.

I didn't like Howdens at all and although we liked a couple of the Magnet kitchens, I think they may be too expensive and we won't get any more for our money.

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 20:39:57

Hi everyone, I'm just back from a trip to a showroom which had some Second Nature kitchens on display as well as few other manufacturers. I'm not sure if it's the showroom itself, but whilst choice of doors (all brands) was amazing, I didn't notice any difference in quality of units themselves. TBH, I'm just a little bit disappointed - some chipping in the edging of shelves and other interior parts, and this is given that non of these kitchens have been in use.
Is this my own poor experience?

Walnutpie Thu 11-Jun-15 20:43:31

NNat did you find a place in London? If so....where was it? I might go along and look there, rather than schlep to Pontefract!

Beckyt80 Thu 11-Jun-15 20:56:46

From my understanding second nature make the doors and then each kitchen supplier source the units independently. Therefore what you see in each showroom is not necessarily comparable (unit wise). I may be wrong though!

NNat Thu 11-Jun-15 21:08:15

Walnutpie, I found a list of local showrooms here - www.sncollection.co.uk/showrooms.html

Apparently there are a few in London. Please pm me if you're interested in the one I visited - they only had less then a handful of SN ranges, but excellent selection of doors and salesman was incredibly good. Also v good selection of worktop samples.

Becky - really???? I will ask them! This might make difference!

user1486621795 Thu 09-Feb-17 06:33:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bababing1 Sun 12-Feb-17 18:19:56

Another big positive vote for Diy kitchens. Used last yr and very impressed. Quality is top notch and several people who have seen ours have bought, incl joiner who fitted.
- We wanted Matt white doors and lots of places had only 1-2 options but diykitchens had loads.
- The number of cupabird sizes and options was huge, so can get what you need to fit any space.
- They will post out a sample doors if you want to see colour/, quality.
- Another aspect we found great is they make the units there, and so made a few bespoke items for us for very little money. Just phoned up, they said no problem.
- Also if you go for painted doors, you can have them colour match to any colour paint you provide for no extra cost.
- Also pricing totally transparent, which it was not anywhere else.
Our kitchen looks very stylish and was a fraction of the quotes from other places for much better quality.
Good luck!

kmini Sun 12-Feb-17 22:19:31

Another positive experience. We are just about to do our second kitchen with them. For the investment you are making, they are totally worth the trip up north. Be very prepared beforehand and as another poster suggested, have a plan with precise measurement already sorted.

We saved 3-4k going directly with them, rather than a kitchen designer that used second nature.

kmini Sun 12-Feb-17 22:20:09

Ps. Excellent joiner is always essential in my opinion

minijoeyjojo Sun 12-Feb-17 22:28:16

Another positive review for DIY kitchens here too. We did our utility room using them and are impressed with the quality of the units. We had it colour matched to farrow and ball and it looks excellent.

suzyrut Mon 13-Feb-17 10:00:54

Want to add another positive review for DIY kitchens. I'm just about to have my second one fitted they are such good quality and you can't beat the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now