Talk

Advanced search

How to plan a kitchen?

(12 Posts)
Mashtag Tue 09-Jun-15 21:18:15

I need help. Big time.
Going round in circles here.

It's a big old open plan space. Pretty much one rectangular kitchen, dining, living room

Kitchen planners can't seem to come up with any original ideas other than the usual units down the walls and Island in the middle
Where do I go?
I have tried everywhere local to me so does anyone know an online designer that could help me?

Mashtag Tue 09-Jun-15 22:10:52

Or anyone used a downloadable floor planner? Like the CAD the designers use?

SwedishEdith Tue 09-Jun-15 22:13:37

Try the Ikea one just to see what you do.

RunsWithScissors Tue 09-Jun-15 22:13:52

Google Sketchup. It's a free CAD-type program.

Bit of a learning curve, but has tutorials to help you out.

Alternatively, go on to the ole website and use their kitchen planner.

JasperDamerel Tue 09-Jun-15 22:14:13

Start by reading this thread:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1554664-The-MN-lessons-learnt-kitchen-thread

RunsWithScissors Tue 09-Jun-15 22:14:21

Not ole
IKEA web site.

SwedishEdith Tue 09-Jun-15 22:19:13

Just looked at the apps on Google and there's quite a few there. Just downloaded one called Roomstyler and it looks like you can plan kitchens with that. No idea whether it's any good but there are a few to try.

RaisingSteam Tue 09-Jun-15 22:26:34

The Ikea one is good for getting the basic layout mocked up.

I found this website very helpful as it gives you a "formula" and then applies it to different layouts: dynamic space You can then add sitting/dining/storage zones to your room and routes through/sightlines to TV etc.

JKArchitect Tue 09-Jun-15 23:12:52

Consider using and architect or interior designer to advise you further. We are not just used for building work. I have had numerous meetings with clients on an hourly rate bases to help improve their internal layouts.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 10-Jun-15 08:43:53

I agree with JKArchitect... Get someone in who makes their living from their design skills rather than by selling you stuff ...there's a thread here about finding a good kitchen planner

http://houzz.com/discussions/3135352

Mashtag Wed 10-Jun-15 08:52:18

Thanks all. One plan I have seen your posts on house!
I think we are getting there after hours and hours into the wee hours yesterday.

Mashtag Wed 10-Jun-15 08:54:49

Houzz not house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now