Advanced search

Who and when do i need to inform when moving hous?

(10 Posts)
workingonitagain Sat 06-Jun-15 19:24:49

Im looking for a sort of (hospital bag) list on who i need to contact to tell them we are moving. So far i have
Royal mail to redirect mails

CremeEggThief Sat 06-Jun-15 19:42:04

I'm moving soon and here are mine (and a few that don't apply to me):
Hospital, if expecting any appointments soon
TV licensing
Child benefit
Tax credits
Credit cards
Child trust fund/ Junior ISA
Children's savings
Insurance: home/car/pet/health
Life assurance
Store cards
Online shopping sites

snowgirl1 Sat 06-Jun-15 19:43:04

Credit card companies
Any employers that you have a pension with
Car insurance
Home insurance

specialsubject Sat 06-Jun-15 20:05:06

having had a spate of moves, I found the checklist was as follows. These MUST be done before you move:

utility companies (take readings at both properties)
car insurance; in advance, tell them moving date
house insurance: if buying, remember the new place must be insured from exchange.

return library books before the move.

set up your redirect and do everything else (as per above lists) after you move. I recommend at least 3 months for redirect, six if you've been in the previous place a long time.

driving licence needs to be done ASAP after move; can be done online.

workingonitagain Sat 06-Jun-15 20:27:44

That's super useful thank you so much xx

EarSlaps Sat 06-Jun-15 20:46:09

Following as we'll be doing this too soon hopefully.

We'll do the major ones and arrange a redirect for a few months- if any arrive via the redirect it's a good reminder to ring that company up to change!

I guess you can get started after exchange as it should all go ahead smoothly after that?

MovingStress Sun 07-Jun-15 07:35:52

Following as about to do our list!

Happypiglet Sun 07-Jun-15 08:01:34

Bear in mind that the phone line/broadband supplier will probably need notice to move you. Unless you want to end up with no phone etc for a week or two call them a few weeks in advance and ask what you need to do.
Insurance for house needs to be sorted from exchange.
In my recent experience everything else can be done after you have moved in. As long as you read the meters before you leave.

Happypiglet Sun 07-Jun-15 08:02:01

Obviously as long as you set up Post office redirect!

specialsubject Sun 07-Jun-15 11:26:25

you do need to tell your car insurers about moving date in advance, but with a redirect most other stuff can wait. HOWEVER redirects are done manually so there is always scope for stuff to slip through, so get a shift on as soon as you have moved.

you do need the redirect though, as companies send a confirmation to the old address as well.

oh, and don't forget to tell friends and family too. And if you are on good terms with your buyers, leave a bottle of wine, a box of chocs and a sheet of address labels for your new place. That way if anything does get forgotten they can forward it on easily at no cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now