Talk

Advanced search

Is it at all possible to put a downstairs loo in this victorian terrace?

(25 Posts)
DataColour Sat 06-Jun-15 11:02:37

I think the answer is a no, but I don't know anything about building work so no idea. No option to put it under the stairs as the stairs run across the house and I don't want a loo opening into a dining area.
There seems to be a tiny storage area just near the front door. Would it be possible to use this?..perhaps taking a bitmore out of the living room to make it possible? Living room is pretty sizable.
Considering buying this property, but have elderly parents who visit regularly, so the lack of downstairs loo is a problem.

Thanks for any suggestions!

SoupDragon Sat 06-Jun-15 11:08:12

If it were me, I would consider a single storey extension next to the kitchen, move the kitchen across and put the downstairs toilet under the bathroom.

To put it in that spot by the front door, you need to consider where the drains go. If they come out to the front of the property it should be possible, if they go out to the rear, it isn't going to be easy (apart from using a macerator toilet which can be problematical and unpopular anyway).

SoupDragon Sat 06-Jun-15 11:11:21

I imagine that to put it in the living room, you would use the current door as the door into the toilet and would then need to cut a new door further down. If going down this route, assuming it is possible, I would be tempted to take a slice off the living room all along that wall and have a toilet and cupboard space for coats.

meadowquark Sat 06-Jun-15 11:12:37

If you want to make it easy I would move the kitchen into the dining room and have utility / downstairs loo in the current kitchen. Simples!

RandomMess Sat 06-Jun-15 11:14:48

What meadowquark says. You could actually have a shower room and utility room in the existing kitchen I should think?

Stinkersmum Sat 06-Jun-15 11:15:16

I think it would cost a fortune to put it anywhere near the front of the house as currently all your waterworks are at the back. Could you consider changing the back reception into a kitchen diner and converting the kitchen to a utility/wc?

Stinkersmum Sat 06-Jun-15 11:18:27

Oops. Cross post with two other very smart people grin

meadowquark Sat 06-Jun-15 11:21:38

Smart people he he �� I actually think that having kitchen / diner increases value against kitchen of diner, and the option others and I suggested makes actually perfect, convenient living. I would love an utility room, I I could have a shower there it would be heaven.

RandomMess Sat 06-Jun-15 11:30:18

With clever planning you get the noisy washing machine & tumble dryer in the utility space along with as much as storage as possible then have minimal stuff in the kitchen/diner to keep the room as spacious as possible.

Cupboard under the stairs will make a great walk in pantry/cupboard.

I certainly think you'd get your money back on gaining a 2nd toilet even better if it's got a shower too in a 3 bed house.

SoupDragon Sat 06-Jun-15 11:32:51

I agree - Kitchen-Diner plus utility is probably the way to go.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a downstairs shower - I have one and it's been used a handful of times in 13 years. Mostly when the boiler broke and it was the only source of hot water!

CamelHump Sat 06-Jun-15 11:35:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RandomMess Sat 06-Jun-15 11:44:34

We have our washing machine and tumble dryer stacked so save space on an outside wall for them so it can vent straight out.

We all use our downstairs shower because it's the nicest one! May depend whether the upstairs one is any good. You should get a decent shower on ground floor level using your mains supplied hot water.

If you design it well then the shower area shouldn't take up much space and could always be added at a later date if you think it'll get used.

Best of all you will be able to get some of your new kitchen built whilst having use of the existing one - much more pleasant experience all around!

noddyholder Sat 06-Jun-15 11:46:07

COuld you make a kitchen diner at teh back and use the small kitchen as utility with loo etc

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sat 06-Jun-15 12:11:57

Definitely easiest, most cost effective and best use of space to combine the existing rear reception room with the kitchen. I'd go for a run of units to include sink and a dishwasher against the back wall by the stairs and a shorter run opposite that so that you can access both the stairs and the other room. You could make the back of the second run into a breakfast bar for casual eating if you wanted to depending on size of the room and the space.

The current kitchen is then ideal for a combined utility room/downstairs loo. The washing machine and dryer, if you use one, could be housed stacked in a built in cupboard that could also contain your ironing board, vacuum etc. so that would keep everything out of sight and a hand basin in a unit would give space for cleaning materials underneath. You could either choose to do away with the back door altogether or keep it for easy access from the garden.

I think it would be well worth doing and certainly add value to the house as well.

DataColour Sun 07-Jun-15 19:29:23

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Sounds like rearranging the kitchen/dining room is the way to go. Is there a way of making the door of the downstairs loo to not open out into the kitchen diner? i can't think where the entrance could be, apart from just off the kitchen area...which I wouldn't be happy about.

Not sure if it would add value though tbh, as none of the houses around there have a downstairs loo and the only alterations have been to extend the kitchen. I was thinking of a side return, would have to be a small one though as it's only a courtyard garden too.
All this is hypothetical though, as we might not even get the house. they go like hot cakes round here, over the asking price so not holding out much hope.

noddyholder Sun 07-Jun-15 19:49:58

You could put the loo at teh rear of the utility with a stud wall so 2 doors between kitchen diner and toilet

Stinkersmum Sun 07-Jun-15 19:58:53

I can't read the room sizes on the diagram but could you make a cubicle within the would be utility room for the loo?

RandomMess Sun 07-Jun-15 20:39:41

Yes first part is where you have the utility area and then another door into where the toilet & poss shower would be.

Good luck!

DataColour Mon 08-Jun-15 10:58:37

Sounds doable!
The back reception room is 5.5m and 3.6m...would that be big enough for a kitchen diner, considering the white goods/storage will be in the utility room? And even squeeze a sofa in?

Stinkersmum Mon 08-Jun-15 13:44:12

What is that in old money? Feet & inches..

DataColour Mon 08-Jun-15 13:47:04

18'1" x 11'10"

JKLondon Mon 08-Jun-15 17:26:20

Hi, I am architect. I have done something similar on a project by adding an additional false wall into the rear room. This creates storage, a small utility and wc under the stairs. The WC is accessed via the utility and therfore it isn't direct onto a kitchen / dining room.
The kitchen can be moved into the rear room and by extending across the rear of the property you gain a fantastic family / dining room.
you also have a similar option with a WC onto the hallway.
I have attached two sketch options to show what I mean.
You will also need to figure out the existing and proposed drainage to suit the appropriate position in the property.

RandomMess Mon 08-Jun-15 20:11:54

That is nice JKLondon but I think it would be a shame to make a small yard non existent in the op case as well as presumably a lot more expensive?

Room sounds plenty big enough to me - you don't need a huge amount of kitchen cupboards if you design and plan well. Corner cupboards are a rubbish use of space wide pull out drawers are utterly amazing for storage and convenience of use.

DataColour Tue 09-Jun-15 13:50:31

Unfortunately there is only a small yard at the back, not enough to extend JKLondon, but those are great designs so thank you! I can now see how the WC and utiliy area works and how the doors can be open out, from your second design.
I would be nice to have a lean to conservatory type thing with the extra space next to the what is now the kitchen with those french doors in the living area opening on to it.
Thanks RandomMess We have just put in a new kitchen it our current house and yes I love our new pull out drawers, so much room!

RandomMess Tue 09-Jun-15 14:19:25

Perhaps you could custom build some pull out wire basket draws in the cupboard under the stairs for the items not used regularly and get away with one run along the back wall and perhaps another along the stairs would make it seem very spacious still if that would work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now