Advanced search

Door knobs - anyone know what the gubbins inside the door is called?

(7 Posts)
PoorNeglectedBike Fri 05-Jun-15 14:12:25

we've got some old doors to replace our hideous 70s efforts with.

i've found nice knobs here but they don't have the mechanism that goes inside the door and moves the latch thing into the hole in the frame (nor the latch for that matter)

i see rim locks, i see external latch things, but i don't see the other thing, that i need


PigletJohn Fri 05-Jun-15 15:26:33

in a modern house, a tubular latch. They fit into a simple round hole drilled into the edge of the door. latch

If you are having round knobs rather than lever handles, you will need a latch at least three inches long, or you will bang your knuckles on the doorframe. Also if you have fire doors with an extra wide stop on the frame.

If you want to re-use existing holes, take out the old one and measure the backset (distance from fore-end to centre of spindle hole) very very very accurately.

If you have an older house, you can get six-inch latches (with difficulty) to give the spacing of a doorknob in a Victorian or Edwardian house with horizontal mortice sashlocks in a panelled door sashlock

Links do not work because they have embedded blanks, but you can C&P.

PoorNeglectedBike Fri 05-Jun-15 15:44:16

Hurrah for pigletjohn. I was secretly hoping you'd turn up
That's very helpful thank you. We're reusing old doors, they have holes in but no hardware so I've no doubt it's going to be complicated and expensive and need noshing but that gives me something to work within smile

PoorNeglectedBike Fri 05-Jun-15 15:46:06

Ugh. Bodging not noshing. Sorry blush

PigletJohn Fri 05-Jun-15 15:57:02

if the doors have rectangular mortices for sashlocks, measure them. They may be about 5 inches deep.

PoorNeglectedBike Sat 06-Jun-15 11:06:34

What's a mortice? The hole on the narrow edge (is that the jamb?) and a sash lock. What's that?

PigletJohn Sat 06-Jun-15 14:24:48

A sash lock is a single case that contains a deadbolt (almost always operated by a key) and a latch (operated by a knob or handle).

If the keyhole and the knobhole are above each other, it is a Vertical Sashlock (most common in modern houses)

If they are beside each other, it is a Horizontal Sashlock. More elegant and usually seen in older houses.

Size, quality and price vary.

A mortice is a hole in a piece of wood. The locks shown above are mortice locks because they fit into a rectangular cavity cut into the side of the door. The alternative is a rim lock which is fixed to the face (usually inside) if the door. A Yale lock is a rimlatch. Rimlocks are fitted to shed doors and some cottage doors that are too thin for a mortice, but are also seen on churches and castles and on metal doors.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: