Talk

Advanced search

Any tips on the best way to paint a wall without leaving roller marks/brush strokes?

(14 Posts)
SwedishEdith Fri 05-Jun-15 11:36:31

Whenever I use a roller to paint a wall, I get a kind of textured finish - and I don't like it. How do get a smooth finish on the wall? Thanks

SwedishEdith Fri 05-Jun-15 16:11:36

Anyone?

PausingFlatly Fri 05-Jun-15 16:15:56

You could try spray painting. (I've never tried it myself.)

Or you could use a thinner or diluted emulsion and put on lots of coats by roller. Also check you're using the right sort of roller. Some are intended to create more texture.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 05-Jun-15 16:29:17

Not enough paint on the roller or brush?

Make sure you do 2 coats.

Ime paint 'settles' after a week or so and any texture stops showing.

SwedishEdith Fri 05-Jun-15 16:57:38

Thanks both. I've just sanded back the first coat (was first after the mist coat) so will try thinning the paint a little for the next coat. And have bought a new roller to see if that helps.

BanKimoon Fri 05-Jun-15 17:09:02

You can get paint pads from B&Q which I think leave a nice finish. Easier to use than a roller too!

BanKimoon Fri 05-Jun-15 17:10:33

This kind of thing www.diy.com/departments/diall-large-paint-pad/246678_BQ.prd

Bunbaker Fri 05-Jun-15 17:12:12

Ditto paint pads.

Stinkersmum Fri 05-Jun-15 17:19:38

Third the paint pads. So easy, no splattering, great coverage, really quick to cover a good size area.

SwedishEdith Fri 05-Jun-15 18:22:29

Thanks again. I'll make my 3,678th trip to B&Q this week tomorrow and get one then.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:31:59

Oooooh! I know! I do. I have been waiting to impart this knowledge.

You need Floetrol. It's a paint conditioner. You put it in paint and it stops it drying so quickly which means it settles onto the surface and goes all smooth and professional looking. Water based paints dry too quickly otherwise and you get the textured look whether you want it or not.

I bought a paint paddle off ebay for £10 to mix it in a bucket then I transfer it to my Big Ben paint tray.

I decorate the walls using a Wooster Pro-Doo Z 3/8th inch medium pile roller, then finish with a 2nd or 3rd coat using the same length pile but on a microfibre roller (14").

It is a bit of a mind fuck looking at the walls though because it's just colour and no texture iyswim.

SwedishEdith Fri 05-Jun-15 18:37:29

Oh, no, fluffy, I was dreading someone coming on and saying something like that grin. I did google this earlier and professional decorators had all sorts of complicated tips. So, I thought I'd ignore them and ask on here instead. And now you've ruined it. It's a really awkward tiny room as well and I'm painting it pure brilliant white. Everywhere I turn is glaring white.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:41:26

I've waited a year to post something like that too.

It's not that complicated really, you just buy some pro kit and crack on with it.

The rollers don't splatter as much either so it's cleaner too.

SwedishEdith Fri 05-Jun-15 18:45:41

Grrr!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now