Talk

Advanced search

Party Wall question

(6 Posts)
LeOrange Fri 05-Jun-15 10:25:00

We are due to have our loft converted in 3 months and served party wall to our neighbours (30's semi) yesterday. They are currently having a double side and rear extension at their property, which they needed planning permission for and to which we didn't object. I sent the plans to my neighbor to look over as well as giving them the government and agencies booklet with the notice.

The plan involves inserting a beam into the party wall and this is the only aspect which will touch it. My neighbour's only question pre-signing the agreement is whether our having inserted a beam will preclude them from doing so should they go on to have a loft extension. Rather helpfully, my draughtsman is on holiday and I want to respond within the 14 day period. Happy to speak to a surveyor for advice, but thought I would ask here first.

TIA

HollyMaingate Fri 05-Jun-15 13:01:27

Hi

No it wouldn't, nobody would ever sign a Party Wall Agreement if that were the case, think how many terraces there are where every one has a loft conversion.

Hope it helps

LeOrange Fri 05-Jun-15 13:20:11

That is exactly what I thought! Is there anywhere I can find that written?

HollyMaingate Fri 05-Jun-15 13:33:49

I wouldn't have thought so but surely all you need to do is explain that it couldn't possible be the case giving an example or two?

LeOrange Fri 05-Jun-15 13:42:15

Hopefully - they are more than a little pedantic. Am hoping a word with any builder will resolve it.

HollyMaingate Fri 05-Jun-15 13:55:42

Good luck, it makes life a lot easier when they sign rather than having to go down the surveyor route

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now