Talk

Advanced search

Cost of electrician

(9 Posts)
differentlight Thu 04-Jun-15 11:50:24

I just had a quote for rewiring and making good on my 3 bed house in London. It seems high (nearly 10k) but I know he dows good work...
Does this sound too much??
Thanks for any advice!

HelenF350 Thu 04-Jun-15 11:55:20

Not sure about London rates but that sounds very expensive. I would get another few quotes.

Fluffy40 Thu 04-Jun-15 11:59:59

It cost us under 4k in 2014, not London but South East.

differentlight Thu 04-Jun-15 12:26:33

Thanks, will try and get some comparisons

PigletJohn Thu 04-Jun-15 16:52:45

It is often said that rewiring a house costs the same as buying a used car.

Some used cars cost more than others.

JaniceJoplin Thu 04-Jun-15 17:03:03

We paid £3k a tricky rewire in a 2 bed flat in london. I think your quote is high. There is a chance he doesn't want the job perhaps. You should get other quotes or ask him how to reduce the bill bY doing a simpler job maybe.

thebrideishighbutimholdingon Thu 04-Jun-15 17:16:26

Sounds way too high to me, but it depends on the area of London and the size and type of the house. Is it easy to take up the floors? Are you having the house decorated afterwards or will they have to make good on the expensive wallpaper they have to channel out?

I had my 3-bed house in a cheap part of London totally rewired for well under £5k, including all the switches, some of the new light fittings, smoke & heat detectors, extractor fans etc. a couple of years ago. But it was an early stage of a whole house refurb so they could rip up carpets without having to replace them etc.

MrsFlorrick Thu 04-Jun-15 17:50:51

OP has the electrician added lots of "extras" you don't need such as 5amp plugs and CAT6 cabling??

And has he added expensive face plates ie ones that are not white plastic?

Is a new security alarm included?

£10k sounds a little high but it depends very much on what is included.

I'm paying £20k+ vat to rewire an 8 bed house inc upgrade of supply to 3 phase and electric UFH in 3 bathrooms plus exterior lighting.
There is approx 300 points in the house - a "point" being a socket, light switch, a light, downlight or bathroom fan, oven etc you get the idea.

That means I am paying approx £66+ vat per point.

Count up all your points and divide. If you're paying more that £75+vat per point, I would question it.

If you're paying £75 or less, then you need to scale back on the stuff you want to put in or you won't get the price down.

differentlight Sun 07-Jun-15 11:33:27

Thanks very much everyone all for the advice. It is a mid size 3bed and making good was included, but not redecoration. We just bought and have not moved in so anticipated redecorating afterwards. There were a few extras like outdoor sockets but nothing I thought too major. I have asked for other quotes which I think will come in a lot cheaper...

This is the house that Jack built though.. Discovering all kinds of problems to solve - like bizarre pipework and lead water pipes and it looks like there might be woodworm too... So may be some time and a lot of cash before we can move in so definitely hoping for a better quote!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now