Talk

Advanced search

Travel expenses to visit rental property

(4 Posts)
breward Sat 30-May-15 22:09:29

Hi
Does anyone know the up to date 'pence per mile' allowance for visiting a rental property to carry out repairs etc.
Thanks

PettsWoodParadise Sat 30-May-15 22:29:08

45p per mile and typically can allow upto three return visits each financial year. So if property is 5 miles away you can allow for 30 miles or £13.50. Same allowance as employee mileage. That is what my accountant tells me anyway when I explain about an awkward tenant who keeps locking themselves out and we visit every six weeks - leading to new clause in contract to cover expenses and time as a result!

breward Sun 31-May-15 09:53:03

Thanks. We visit rental property more than 3 times a year. I did not realise there was a limit. When our old tenant moved out we were back and forth cleaning, repairing and showing round prospective tenants. The property is 23 miles away so a 46 mile round journey.

Sunnyshores Sun 31-May-15 11:32:48

I dont think there is a limit as such, I think its just suggested that 3 times a year is 'reasonable'. If you were to be investigated for tax fraud and they saw you went 10 times a year, they may find it suspicious. But as long as its defendable and doesnt include £500 per night hotels and fine dining then Im sure its fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now