Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bifold doors - blinds/ curtains

(13 Posts)
shebird Sat 30-May-15 15:00:35

We have just installed bifold doors in our new kitchen extension. The doors have thermal glass etc but with a west facing garden I had underestimated the strength of sunlight through the doors. I just wondered if anyone has used blinds on these doors. I could put a curtain there but I'm unsure this would work in an open plan kitchen. Any ideas recommendations welcome.

Marmitelover55 Sat 30-May-15 16:12:56

We had integral blinds fitted but I imagine its too late to do that...

<unhelpful>

Marmitelover55 Sat 30-May-15 16:13:42

I think you can get specially designed roller blinds though.

Hallyracket Sun 31-May-15 23:35:14

I'm going through this process just now and about to place an order for Luxaflex roller blinds. They do some with screening/UV protection. valeblinds.com/roller-blinds/luxaflex-roller-blinds/screen-rollers/2449-microscreen-10-percent/17013

BeatieBo Mon 01-Jun-15 11:30:26

Is it getting too hot then even with the thermal glass? We are in the middle of getting plans drawn up for our extension. Our garden is also west facing. We are having part lean to roof with velux windows and then a glass gable as well as two sets of bifold doors. The architect assured me it wouldn't get too hot ( we are replacing a conservatory which is unusable for most of the year) but it sounds like it might do.

velorbi Wed 03-Jun-15 06:52:19

We bought a house with west facing extension and 5m of bifold doors. The thermal glass does keep the heat out... Only if you keep the doors closed sad

Doors open and the sun comes in and heats up the floor, and in summer months, May June and July only the sun is just too strong on the few days it is ever sunny. I can't believe architects spec these doors without blinds and/or decent overhang outside or a Brise soleil .

Last year we tacked up light nets to the doors with sticky Velcro. This year we put up a metropole rail the whole length of the wall inside and have 4 net panels we can move around, which actually looks ok, and works well to shade the sun and let's you walk in and out ok.

If you are at the planning stage it must be easy to build in space for hidden blind fixings and or a hidden curtain rail.

happygiraffe Fri 05-Jun-15 20:10:31

Watching this thread with interest as we are about to embark on a similar project and I know we'll have the same issue, as well as wanting some privacy from neighbours. Have always disliked vertical blinds but I think you can get some quite nice ones these days?

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Fri 05-Jun-15 21:42:45

We knocked down our conservatory which was far too hot to use in summer, and replaced it with a proper extension. We now have a long wall of glass (mix of windows and patio doors) and three velux windows. The glass is thermal.

Our room faces South West and it's fine. It really doesn't get too hot. We do have blinds, but that's because we have a problem with low sun in the autumn. We don't have to close the blinds in summer to shut out the heat.

I would be very p****d off if we'd gone to all the expense of replacing the conservatory only to find the room still overheated.

Spirael Fri 05-Jun-15 23:07:25

We have perfect fit blinds on ours, which work really well as they take up very little space and fold away then with the doors when you open them. They clip over the glass between the glass and the frame, so are easy to fit and do no damage. You can get them as venetian, pleated or rollers, IIRC.

shebird Fri 26-Jun-15 19:33:38

Apologies it has been a busy few weeks so only getting back to this now.
So for an update we have just had a quote from a company for perfect fit venitian blinds. The guy was really unhelpful so I am struggling to be enthusiastic about these. He showed me an example of how the frame would fit around the each door and I am worried its will detract from the look of the doors. Do all these blinds have the same plastic frame? I have seen pictures online that seem to show without the frame but cannot find anyone that sells them.

The glass does protect from the heat when the doors are closed, it is far superior to the old large window that was in the same position. What we really need is protection from the glare of the sun which shines directly onto the dining table situated near to the doors. I really don't want to have to wear sunglasses eating dinner indoorsgrin

shanghaismog Fri 26-Jun-15 20:46:54

Having the same issue here and am just about to order origin-global.com/electric-roller-blinds

I really don't like the look of the perfect fit blinds, although can see that they are an easy solution.

I must admit that I'm not massively keen on any of the solutions...

shebird Fri 26-Jun-15 21:47:35

Thank you for the link shanghaismog, these look like an interesting alternative. I agree I'm not keen on any solution and just not keen on having any frames all around each door. Can I ask if you know how these compare price wise to perfect fit?

shanghaismog Sun 28-Jun-15 22:01:15

About the same I think, neither cheap! There is a cost calculator on the website where you can input your dimensions etc. I've called a couple of times with questions and they've been v helpful so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now