Talk

Advanced search

insulating a conservatory

(4 Posts)
kelmarie33 Wed 27-May-15 08:52:15

Good morning everyone,

Im hoping some of you can give me any advice and/or recommendations regarding conservatory roof insulation.

Im hoping to move the kids play room into the conservatory but its freezing in there in winter and dont really want to be keeping the electric heater on constantly in the autumn and winter. We also have a radiator in there attatched to the main heating system.

we cant possibly afford the guardian roof as its about £6k, but ive seen loads of websites where they insukate then board it out, myworry is condensation.

Is anyone out there who can recommend a solution?

Thanks in advance ladies and gents.

kel

fenneltea Thu 28-May-15 08:01:26

We used sheets of Kingspan and then fitted upvc cladding over the top in ours. It's made a huge difference and the room is usable year round now. It wasn't difficult to do.

kelmarie33 Thu 28-May-15 08:11:43

Hi Fenneltea,

Thank you for replying.
My husband is quite handy and could do that himself.
What did you do about condensation and ventilation? I called a few companies yesterday and really felt like they were cowboys.
I asked one company about the lack of reviews online and his response was I'll give you the name, numbers and addresses of our customers and call them yourself'. Ever heard of data protection I said, then he backtracked, didn't like it at all.

fenneltea Thu 28-May-15 10:26:47

Hi, we haven't had any issues with condensation; my husband fitted them and made sure that the kingspan was a really secure fit, he then sealed any gaps with sealant before fitting the upvc cladding and securing that with battens. It's been done for a couple of years now.

I know what you mean about the rogue companies out there. We decided we had nothing to lose if it didn't work as the room wasn't working as it was, I can't remember exact costs, but I 'think' it came to about £300 for a 5m x 4m conservatory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now