Talk

Advanced search

First time buyers, London- where to look?

(15 Posts)
Milkyway1304 Tue 26-May-15 20:44:38

Hello all, reasonably new to London and considering buying as likely to be here for the foreseeable future. Would love some advice on areas to look.

Currently family consists of myself, DH and toddler. Hoping to add another child in next few years. Ideally within 1 hour commute of Hammersmith and Moorgate. Obviously schools and childcare a consideration. Ideally some outdoor space. Prefer 3 beds but would consider spacious 2 bed. Budget approx £500k which I realise won't go far.

itdc Tue 26-May-15 20:49:03

Southgate, Harrow , north finchley, East Barnet , Watford

0utForAWalkBitch Wed 27-May-15 17:04:23

You could easily get a nice three bed (or bigger) in Plumstead and the surrounding areas for that budget. It will be benefitting from Crossrail in the next few years - 20 mins to Liverpool St. At the moment I commute from Plumstead Common to Shoreditch and it takes about 45 mins to an hour door to door.

We were first time buyers and it was the only area we could afford last year. Although your budget is bigger than ours was.

CrispyFB Wed 27-May-15 19:29:23

I second Plumstead (and its neighbour West Thamesmead, NOT central/North Thamesmead as that's completely different) as a very affordable but relatively pleasant place to settle. Lived in West Thamesmead for 9 years, there's a great school there too at Heronsgate. Not on the tube but frankly I'd take having eight (last I checked) peak time scheduled train services an hour over the randomness of the tube, plus there are a ton of buses including to North Greenwich where the tube is. And the boat from Woolwich for a bit of a change! And Crossrail as mentioned. Bluewater shopping is a 20-30 minute drive away although Woolwich is fine for basics.

You could get somewhere really nice in Plumstead for that budget.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 27-May-15 19:50:31

3 bed semi in Petts Wood for £500k. Zone 5. Very lovely area, great community feel. Safe. Lots of destinations. I can't recommend it highly enough.

babydad Wed 27-May-15 21:01:59

Take a look at Hither Green/Catford.
Great schools and fab links into london.

albertcampionscat Thu 28-May-15 19:57:45

Finsbury Park. 13 minute train journey to Moorgate and 35 minute tube to Hammersmith.

Milkyway1304 Thu 28-May-15 22:06:24

Thanks all, lots of places to visit in the coming weeks!

cosmicglittergirl Fri 29-May-15 21:25:22

Finsbury Park is a lot more than that
now. Leytonstone is cheap(ish).

fufulina Sat 30-May-15 18:45:22

Finsbury park - 2 bed with garden around £650k. Try the Harringay ladder - 2 bed garden flats about £500k. Good schools. The marvel that is Green Lanes. Overland to Moorgate in 15 minutes and overland to Finsbury Park (for Piccadilly line) in 2 minutes. Or manor house a 15 minute walk/5 minute bus.

Hobbes8 Sat 30-May-15 20:26:52

How far out do you want to be? The western end of the metropolitan line where it runs alongside the picadilly line would be handy for those two stations. So rayners lane, eastcote, ruislip, ickenham, uxbridge.

Uxbridge or ruislip manor you could get a 3 bed semi for that budget. Nice green space and a lido, good schools, but very surburban. Not really a London feel at all.

Milkyway1304 Sun 31-May-15 22:54:27

We don't mind suburban at all, as long as there's more than just massive housing estates. As in we want to feel part of a community. Trying to decide whether it's worth compromising on space and buying in our current area (Muswell Hill) or looking further out. My DH is happy to continue renting for now, as would I be if we felt more permanent but without the option of a long lease I'm on edge that we could be asked to move anytime, that we can't even paint DDs room etc. We are currently in the catchment area for 3 good primaries and a pretty sought after secondary so people frequently put notes through our door asking if we are vacating soon, reminding me of the insecurity of our situation.

To put a spanner in the works I have been offered a job in Enfield (near Silver Street) next year but am not quite sure if I'll take it yet (have a few months to think about it). It would mean we could stretch our budget to £650k or so though (currently basing mortgage approval only on DH salary and our savings as my position is temporary, though pretty well paid and no shortage of posts in my field).

Hobbes8 Mon 01-Jun-15 20:15:14

Ruislip might be worth a look if you stay in hammersmith then. Bits of it are quite villagey (the expensive bits unfortunately), and there's lots of protected woodland and green space. I grew up not far away and there's quite good transport links for teenagers wanting Central London as well as for commuting.

Enfield I don't know at all I'm afraid, but isn't there a train line straight into moorgate? So you could potentially have a v straightforward commute for both of you which would be nice.

Good luck choosing.

Hobbes8 Mon 01-Jun-15 20:16:38

Oh and I'm self employed and got a mortgage on the basis of a temporary contract, so don't discount that. I'll PM you the details for my mortgage advisor if you like. She's pretty good and I recommend her a lot.

Milkyway1304 Tue 02-Jun-15 14:27:56

Thanks Hobbes, my husband is quite risk averse! To be fair so am I, but renting in London is stressful and I want to feel more permanent. We have a decent deposit saved but it doesn't go far in London unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now