Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning house before moving

(22 Posts)
fhdl34 Mon 25-May-15 16:03:17

What is the general consensus on the level of cleanliness required when you sell a property? We had to tick to say the property would be left in a clean and tidy state but what is the definition?
We move in a few weeks and I am thinking dusting all the walls and ceilings, wiping round all the skirting boards,picture rails and surfaces and vacuum all through the house. Is that sufficient? I have started this today so on the actual moving day I will just have to hoover as the other two tasks will be done. Obviously the toilet/bath/shower/sinks will be clean as well but we're not expected to launder the curtains we're leaving are we? If it makes a difference, it is a single guy buying the house

Jackiebrambles Mon 25-May-15 16:11:59

Oh blimey don't wash the curtains! I certainly wouldn't. A dust, Hoover round and clean bathroom/kitchen is what we did.

And cleaned the integrated fridge too.

BasinHaircut Mon 25-May-15 16:32:42

Wipe out kitchen cupboards and clean fridge/freezer and oven too.

DaisyChain87 Mon 25-May-15 16:50:12

What you are planning sounds great! We've just bought a house. It was utterly filthy: dog hair in huge clumps everywhere, thick with dust, the toilets were filthy and they had left used toilet brushes shudder. I cried when I saw the state of it!!

I would expect: hoovered, dusted, clean bathrooms (especially toilets), cupboards wiped out.

thatsn0tmyname Mon 25-May-15 16:52:56

A bottle of wine in the fridge, loo roll ready to go and flowers is a nice touch. We put new batteries in the smoke alarms but the sellers of the flat I bought took their alarms with them.

BlinkingHeck Mon 25-May-15 17:04:57

I cleaned as I was packing, and made sure well my mum did I hoovered and wiped everything down as we were leaving.

mandy214 Mon 25-May-15 17:18:42

As you'd expect to find it! I wouldn't expect the curtains to be washed unless they were dirty, but yes, it should be properly clean. Yes, not everyone does it, still remember a friend she hadn't had time - think that's rude to be honest. I'd rather pay for a cleaning to go in for a couple of hours that leave it without being cleaned properly.

niceandwarm Mon 25-May-15 17:20:52

What you plan to do sounds fine to me. No need to wash the curtains

Gunpowder Mon 25-May-15 17:23:06

I don't think you need to do curtains. What you are doing sounds great. We always pay to get it done aince having DC, otherwise too stressful!

Gunpowder Mon 25-May-15 17:23:30

*since

specialsubject Mon 25-May-15 17:41:08

as per your plan - so the buyer can arrive and use the property without having to clean it first.

loo roll and instructions, plus clean any appliances you are leaving. Job done!

in an ideal world, try not to leave full dustbins either, i.e. do most of your clearing before the last collection.

madamginger Mon 25-May-15 17:46:27

I cleaned the bathroom and loo, hoovered every room and wiped out the kitchen cupboards as I packed them,
The house we moved to was fucking filthy. We bought it from an elderly lady going into a home and it had been empty for a year, but there were years and years of dirt and grease everywhere. She had 4 sons tooshock lazy bastards letting their mother live like that

DustOffYourHighestHopes Mon 25-May-15 17:54:50

Would expect all floors and surfaces to be cleaned, kitchen and bathrooms cleaned, and inside cupboards and drawers to be wiped out. Not necessarily dusted or sparkling though.

BeeHappyAndSmile Mon 25-May-15 18:06:15

Leave it as you'd want to find it is my approach.

ChishandFips33 Mon 25-May-15 18:22:15

I bought one of those duster thingys (on a long wire) for getting behind/in between the grills on radiators/and on top of skirting boards under the radiators at the new house oh.my.word it was minging so took it back to our old house that we are selling and did those - I was so ashamed! slattern springs to mind
We had curtains etc left and we didn't expect them laundered - what you've suggested sounds great

fhdl34 Mon 25-May-15 18:39:31

Thanks all, I will be doing the kitchen cupboards and cleaning the integrated oven too which is absolutely terrible.
To be honest that standard is what I expect from the house we are moving into but I intend to do the same clean in that when we move in as we did when we moved in here.

CremeEggThief Mon 25-May-15 19:51:29

I will clean the bathroom and downstairs loo, clean cupboards, hob, oven and work surfaces and vacuum and mop throughout, when I leave my house in a few weeks.

fhdl34 Tue 26-May-15 11:53:06

Our sale fell through today, gutted sad

Jackiebrambles Tue 26-May-15 13:29:39

Oh no you poor thing! So sorry to hear that. What happened?

BasinHaircut Tue 26-May-15 16:49:03

Oh no OP, that's crap. wine for tonight.

fhdl34 Tue 26-May-15 16:53:40

Buyer said something personal had happened but wouldn't divulge what but he now can't buy any house at all so I assume he's lost his job or is ill. Apparently he was very distressed when he rang the estate agent. He'd paid his deposit and signed everything last week, as we had, but we just hadn't exchanged everything.
I'm absolutely gutted but as my husband pointed out, as we have konmari'd everything there is a lot less tidying to do for viewings.

Gunpowder Tue 26-May-15 18:01:51

So sorry to hear that. This happened to a friend and they ended up with a brilliant buyer really quickly. Hope same happens for you. wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now