Painting/Spraying kitchen cupboards - anyone had it done?

(10 Posts)
orangina01 Mon 25-May-15 15:52:30

Hi I'm considering having my oak kitchen cupboards painted (preferably sprayed professionally). Has anyone had this done and could recommend a company who does this?

Also, how did you find the process and has it lasted well? Thanks for your help!

orangina01 Thu 28-May-15 19:33:21

Nobody?

Ah well, I think my husband is vetoing the idea anyway now the first quote has come in...

Nyancat Thu 28-May-15 19:45:50

we had it done about 2 years ago, I'm in ni though so probably not great for recommendations. we found someone on Gumtree and they did it for under 500, we went to see someone else who they had done before. it's a great job, starting to chip slightly now but that's probably because I have a toddler who isn't the most delicate in the world.

we weren't living in the house when we got it down, it is fairly dusty, they took the doors away and did them offsite and then did the carcasses in situ, we then just changed the worktop.

lalalonglegs Thu 28-May-15 19:55:36

Yes, I've had it done. Looks great - we just asked around for a car sprayer. Cost about £500 for more than 20 door and drawer fronts.

If the cupboards are solid oak, I wonder if it would better to have them painted than sprayed?

orangina01 Thu 28-May-15 20:25:09

Thank you, that is a really good point about car sprayers, as the price seems much more reasonable.

Also, I hadn't thought about hand painting as I figured it wouldn't be as durable... also have a toddler here...

I will take a spare door to a car sprayer if I can find one locally, the prices you are quoting might sway DH. I hope!

lalalonglegs Thu 28-May-15 20:32:12

My friend had her doors painted with eggshell finish recently - I was really impressed by how evenly it had gone on. The decorator said he'd sanded lightly, then rollered on two coats of Zinzers then two layers of top coat.

firesidechat Fri 29-May-15 08:53:34

When we moved into our current house I painted the dark green doors a cream colour with special kitchen door paint. It looked great and still looks as good as new 7 years later. To be honest I'm amazed at how good it's been. If only I could remember which brand it was.

firesidechat Fri 29-May-15 08:54:11

I hand painted it too.

firesidechat Fri 29-May-15 08:55:54

It probably cost about £40 to do all the doors and drawer fronts, but we didn't paint the actual units.

orangina01 Fri 29-May-15 09:49:02

Thanks everyone. Definitely sounds like an option to hand paint. Did you do the carcasses as well? My worry is that the solid oak doors would come up lovely but more suspicious about the oak veneer end panels...

Fireside, if you remember the name do let me know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now