Talk

Advanced search

Microwave Disassambly

(3 Posts)
Cinnamoncookie Mon 25-May-15 09:22:24

Has anyone here ever taken the cover off a microwave and replaced it successfully ? Some melted fat got through the grills in the top of mine, I soaked most of it up by pushing strips of kitchen towel in, but there's still some left, which I think will go rancid.

I do other electrical DIY (fitting extractor fan and wall heater in bathroom) so I'm aware of safety issues, but the microwave is covered in "You will die if you dismantle this appliance" notices (I exaggerate slightly smile) and I'm wondering if that is the manufacturer covering themselves.

Psippsina Mon 25-May-15 09:27:17

The notices on the microwave are similar to a TV I think, and it's true to an extent - they have some sort of (is it a capacitor?) thing inside that actually holds current for a while after it's turned off.

I'm not sure how long for.

This is the sticking point.

Be really careful. You can't really ring a microwave repairer and ask as they would lose business by telling you - v frustrating! Try youtube?

Sallyingforth Mon 25-May-15 09:44:29

The microwave oven has VERY high voltages and the warnings are there for a reason. The capacitor should have a bleed resistor across it but you can't be certain that it's working. If I was going to do this I would unplug it and wait several hours before opening. Even then I would be very cautious about what I touched.
Has the fat got into the seal around the door? If so I would chuck it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now