Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom fitted - can we still use it while being done ?

(9 Posts)
lizalexander Sun 24-May-15 14:56:41

Hi
We are planning to have our bathroom (which includes the toilet) changed soon - new bathroom suite, tiling & floor.
But - this is the only bathroom & toilet we have.
Will we still be able to use it whilst it is being fitted eg before the workman arrives and after he has gone each night.
Or if not, does anyone have any hints of how we can manage whilst it is being fitted - I'm really worried about how we will cope
many thanks

ThenBellaDidSomethingVeryKind Sun 24-May-15 15:07:39

We had a similar issue - our (fab) plumber chatted it through with us beforehand and one option was to replace the toilet each evening it was going to be 'out'. We did live without bath, shower and sink for a couple of days. We used kitchen sink for tooth brushing and quick washes. DH used showers at work and I took the dc swimming where we showered beforehand, and again afterward, incl full hair washes

ThenBellaDidSomethingVeryKind Sun 24-May-15 15:08:48

Meant to add: once the bath was in, we were able to use it before the tiling was finished as long as we were careful not to get the plaster too wet.

PlainHunting Sun 24-May-15 15:30:50

When we had this done in a house with only one bathroom the plumber made sure that the loo was available each evening (although there was one evening where the flush didn't operate so we had to chuck buckets of water down to flush it). No sink (and definitely no bath or shower) for several days. We had to make do with the kitchen sink and went to the local swimming pool a lot to use the showers there.

JustBeingJuliet Sun 24-May-15 17:13:26

I'm in the middle of the longest bloody bathroom overhaul in history thanks to people letting me down and have been using my bathroom with no flooring other than floorboards and no tiles for several weeks now. The actual bathroom was ripped out and fitted over two days, and the plumber made sure the toilet was done first so as we could use it. I currently have a fully functioning bath, sink and toilet, plus a plywood coated floor and half the tiles stuck up but not grouted, and what I've done is hang a shower curtain flat to the wall so as it covers the tiles/plaster and hangs into the bath, to protect it from any splashes, plus plenty of towels on the floor to stop water damage. I'm not going to lie, it's a pain in the ass trying to wash my hair over the bath without tipping water everywhere, but we're managing. Just hoping my tiling guy manages to find the time to finish the tiling sometime soon!

lizalexander Tue 26-May-15 15:53:44

thanks for all your replies - its what I thought, and does mean that I need to do some planning
much appreciated x

gamerwidow Tue 26-May-15 16:04:41

When we had our bathroom refit we had one night with no toilet and about 3 nights with no shower/bath. We had to use a bucket in the shed for the loo for that one night. Guess which night I got a d&v bug for the first time in years .....

grumbleina Tue 26-May-15 16:57:32

Chat to your plumber as they'll be used to juggling the needs of a one bathroom house! Our toilet stayed where it was until it was swapped for new so it was only a couple of hours without a toilet. No shower for about a week but for most of that the bath was usable as long as we were careful not to slop water down unsealed walls. It was only 3 days or so without any washing facilities.

We just used the kitchen sink for any sink needs. I thought it would be much more of a nightmare than it was tbh.

mousmous Tue 26-May-15 16:59:04

not to forget that it will be filthy/dusty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now