Talk

Advanced search

Tom Howley kitchens...worth the money?

(27 Posts)
IloveCheese11 Sat 23-May-15 19:02:37

Just that really. We went to the showroom a couple of weeks ago and the quality looks lovely but they are very £££. Has anyone got one? Is it worth it?

Aliciaoon Thu 04-Jun-15 11:04:50

We have a Tom Howley kitchen. Beautiful design but their after sales service is dire. Delivery truck damaged garden wall and had to chase aggressively to get their admission. Didn't get full repair paid by them as it was too hard. Also after 6 months trying to get company to fix snags is akin to be treated like charity muggers. Their staff are arrogant, off putting and do not want to be contacted. Will NOT recommend them to anyone.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 04-Jun-15 19:37:12

It's just Neville Johnson under a different name !

IloveCheese11 Thu 04-Jun-15 22:29:37

Oh that doesn't sound too good. Sorry you've had all those problems Aliciaoon. Thanks for sharing it though. We are also looking at Main Kitchens in Yorkshire and Naked Kitchens in Norfolk.

I just googled Neville Johnson and see it is a furniture company but no kitchens. Is Tom Howley the kitchen arm of the business?

wowfudge Thu 04-Jun-15 23:47:29

Neville Johnson bought the Tom Howley business from Tom Howley as I understand it.

Lucyluu1 Sat 10-Dec-16 15:06:38

My best friend just had a Tom Howley kitchen fitted, the designer buggered up the measurements, how he can't use a tape measure is beyond the pale, then their installation manager re-measured and got it wrong too, so the kitchen didn't fit, then various management idiots passed the buck backwards and forwards, changed the design to make what was a bespoke kitchen pretty much standard, not what she had wanted and it took endless phone calls & visits to the showroom to try to get them to sort it out. She was so angry she didn't want the kitchen any more, from what I've heard since this is pretty much standard lack of service from Neville Johnson & Tom Howley I've spoken to so many people with similar if not worse experiences. If something goes wrong they don't fix it & pretend no-one is available to talk to you. Buy from a smaller company who will pay attention to the details. I'm currently researching other companies with the same product for my own new kitchen as I've learnt from her experience that the service she thought was worth the extra money just doesn't happen. I'll post again when I make a decision to let you know what happens.http://www.mumsnet.com/emo/te/xwine.gif.pagespeed.ic.jCePC3bBlw.png

namechangedtoday15 Sat 10-Dec-16 19:30:45

Opposite here. Family member has a Tom Howley kitchen and they were very good. They scratched painted finish and TH came out very quickly to touch it up, there were a couple of mistakes in it and they put them right. It really is a beautiful kitchen.

But having visited at various stages of the renovations, the units themselves are no different to many high street offerings. Its hard to see how the price differential is justified.

So, yes, beautiful kitchens, but could get a similar look / finish for less.

Enajyma Thu 15-Dec-16 21:03:25

Yes. We've heard the same. A good friend of ours has a kitchen from Higham Kitchens or Higham Furniture...sorry I can't quite remember. I know they're based in Fulham. I think they're only a small company but she did say that it's bespoke made in their own workshop. Apperently, their service was second to none. They couldn't do enough for her. I must say it is lovely and the quality is seems 1st class. I don't know how much she paid but she said the price was really low compared to some of the others out there. Anyway she's over the moon with it so that's what it's all about.
Hope that helps. X

MargeryFenworthy Sat 24-Dec-16 16:46:47

What about Smallbone as an alternative?

Difficultyear2015 Sat 24-Dec-16 20:56:09

Smallbone is very poor quality compared to what their marketing would have you believe.

I will be using an independent local furniture maker for our bespoke kitchen.
Made to order, totally customisable etc

orangeblosssom Mon 26-Dec-16 19:44:09

I visited Tom Howley's kitchen showroom and they were very snooty.

milkshake1973 Sat 28-Jan-17 11:50:52

Have you tied these? www.simonbenjamin.co.uk A good friend of mine has a kitchen of theirs which I am hugely coveting right now... they are a smaller family run outfit but their quality and service was apparently brilliant. I'm still at dream stages of my new kitchen but can't wait to get stuck in, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.. pulls up chair and grabs a wine!

leeisles Mon 27-Feb-17 20:19:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jillsummers Mon 06-Mar-17 13:27:39

I can not imagine saving up for so long and then not getting your perfect kitchen I feel bad for all you people that have suffered that.

I have not too long ago bought a lovely kitchen from www.elankitchens.co.uk
They sell Leicht kitchens and it is amazing. They are such nice people too and couldn't do enough to help.

Based in Fulham but came to north London to our house so i am guessing they don't mind where they go. I used them as a friend of mine had recommended them.

Sewinsgchick Thu 20-Apr-17 13:17:42

I wish I'd read this thread before we paid our deposit to Tom Howley. They've been pretty rubbish so far - I've had several disagreements with the designer. Last time I saw her, I had to ask "if you think one thing and I think another, who has the final say?". She's not good about returning calls either. And not at all careful about making sure the measurements are right...

Sewingchick Sat 29-Apr-17 12:14:51

Just in case anyone else has had problems with Tom Howley, after paying the deposit, I thought I'd tell you what I did and the effect it had. I made a complaint to my designer's manager. I did have to listen to him telling me what brilliant customer service Tom Howley normally provide (ha, ha). However, he agreed to us withholding 5% of the money until after the kitchen is installed and we are happy with it, the designer has been round to take more measurements and is going to alter what were meant to be be the final set of drawings (because they were wrong). So I still wouldn't recommend Tom Howley to anyone but if you are using them, it is definitely worth kicking up a fuss, sooner rather than later, if you don't get good service.

Doublechocolatetiffin Sat 29-Apr-17 14:45:18

Wow this is very interesting, we almost went with a Tom Howley kitchen but decided against it as they did such a crap job of the initial quite design, they hadn't listened to half the things we wanted and kept on saying they couldn't put certain units it because they weren't the right size - it's supposed to be a bespoke kitchen!!

I'm glad we didn't go with them now. Although we used a company called Detail Kitchens, now Bater and Co who were equally horrific in the actual delivery. I'm 10 months on and it's still not finished.

timcook19 Thu 01-Jun-17 22:17:41

tringo40 Wed 19-Jul-17 22:12:17

Does anyone know of a more affordable kitchen company similar to the style of Tom Howley but up North? I'm based in Cheadle, Cheshire. Thanks

yorkrose Sun 03-Sep-17 16:02:57

Try www.neilbespokefurniture.co.uk here in York, Neil did our kitchen 3 months ago, amazing personal service by Neil himself, kitchen properly hand made and stunning quality, everything perfect and really quick fitting, spotless when finished, even the cupboards were cleaned out ready to use.
Neil has visited twice since to check everything is working as we wanted, which I think is unbelievable service these days.
We are now asking him to design our bedroom, Neil does work all over, I think he is doing a job in Berlin soon, and before us made furniture for an Apartment in Paris.
The granite company Neil used was superb as well, even when I made a mark on granite, they came out late the same night to sort, 9.30 when they left.
Hope this helps

scarletladyemilia Thu 07-Sep-17 14:33:51

A friend of mine was looking for a bespoke kitchen. She did some extra research and ended up getting a completely Bespoke kitchen designed exactly how she wanted it was from a local company in East Sussex. Their service and product was quality and second to none. They were called Eridge Green Kitchens. She has been thrilled with their service and her kitchen is amazing.

NinonDeLenclos Thu 07-Sep-17 19:12:33

Wow this is very interesting, we almost went with a Tom Howley kitchen but decided against it as they did such a crap job of the initial quite design, they hadn't listened to half the things we wanted and kept on saying they couldn't put certain units it because they weren't the right size - it's supposed to be a bespoke kitchen!!

They did exactly the same thing to me. In the end we went with a small bespoke kitchen firm who had done an amazing kitchen for a friend. Lovely guy, listened to all the details, made brilliant suggestions, been very patient etc.

RebeccaS87 Sat 23-Sep-17 22:20:27

My sister had her kitchen from www.woodandfurniture.co.uk and it was same style like TH. They did an amazing job she also got 3d design in the price, solid wood doors, oak drawers.. I cannot remember exactly but sg like for half price. My sister firstly thought it must be cheaper because bad quality then they asked for some refefences to see. The company showed a previous client's kitchen which was made couple years ago it was great as my sister's kitchen now. We are planning to get ours in next year.They based in South London.

roxycee Fri 06-Oct-17 15:46:19

It may help others may not. We ended up proceeding with Willow Tree they seem to offer 3 services

Standard sized range
Standard sized with mixed bespoke
Fully bespoke

We looked at DeVol & Neptune however really don't like the Chinese production side of Neptune and DeVols's price actually come in higher in the end. DeVol's price was cheaper until it got down to the little things that were pointed out by a friend that were not done/included. Tom Howley is beautiful there is no question however the price is ver high.

Hope this helps people

www.willowtreeinteriors.com

francescaeq Sun 08-Oct-17 19:42:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now