Talk

Advanced search

Which adds more value to house

(12 Posts)
Idoc Thu 21-May-15 17:15:40

Hi mumsnetters

Looking for some advice please
I have a front garden and back garden which is very unruly (thanks to previous owners!) my neighbours have all paved the front to create a small driveway (victorian terrace)... I would like to do this but also need to sort out the back garden but can't decided which to spend more on/done professionally as I can't do both

Basically would you prefer a manicured garden or paved driveway space and which would add more value

linspins Thu 21-May-15 17:55:20

I would create parking if there was none there already, but do it in as green and soft way as possible. (E.g using hard standing that rainwater could flow through) and planting round the edges, even if tiny. A lovely front garden that isn't plain concrete will make you happy to come home to, and add kerb appeal!
Then clear and grass the back garden yourself.

pinkje Thu 21-May-15 18:23:59

Are you asking from a re-sale point of view? If so then convert the front to parking but get all necessary planning in order.

Idoc Thu 21-May-15 18:53:11

Thanks for the replies so far
From long term point of view... I'll probably sell in 3-4 years (stay for 5 in total) I need the parking really as it can get busy round here

PlainHunting Thu 21-May-15 19:27:34

Parking every time

Back garden is a DIY thing and needn't cost much at all.

MovingStress Fri 22-May-15 16:19:20

If you need parking then do that! I'm a big believer in doing what you need for yourselves to live in a house, rather than worrying about what it does to the value - unless, of course, planning on selling soon!

Idoc Fri 22-May-15 18:36:59

Thanks... Yeah I'm thinking the same I need parking! I will go down that route... Any more advice welcome though!

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sat 23-May-15 03:58:45

Definitely create parking, but don't use paving. It looks horrible and doesnt allow rain water to soak through.

Some friends of ours created parking with matting that grass could grow through, but is tough enough for a car to go on, and then planted around the edge. It looks lovely.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 23-May-15 04:58:16

usedtobe you can get permeable 'paving' (actually, even block paving comes into.this category if its sand bedded and the joints are loose filled with sand.

Agree with the sentiment though, please make sure whatever you do is free draining back to the ground underneath.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sat 23-May-15 08:39:05

I didn't know you could get permeable paving slabs. I still think having grass at the front would be preferable, but I don't know what the relative costs are.
We inherited a gravel drive with our house, which is ugly but does let rain water through. I wouldn't advise a gravel drive, especially if it's sloping down to the road, as you'll end up with gravel on the road, plus it's really hard to drag /push buggies, wheelie bins etc across it.

I'd love to replace my drive with the grass matting option, but need to work on the house first!

Sunnyshores Sat 23-May-15 15:42:28

Parking will add value, especially if all other the houses in your road have it. A manicured back garden wont add value, strimmed, a few paving slabs for a patio, neat borders is all you need for it to be saleable.

alasdairhandc Thu 28-May-15 12:36:04

Already been said but I agree with others - do the parking, make sure it's sturdy and solid and will last, you can keep the front looking very nice that way.

The back garden, yes having it beautifully done will improve numbers of viewings and maybe offers when the time comes to sell but it won't add 'value' as it were to the capital value of the property. That's all in the house really.

If you plan on staying for 3-5 years, that's more than enough time to spend on getting the back garden in shape - just keep it simple, neat and conservative - plain and simple sells.

(P.S. I am an EA)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now