Talk

Advanced search

Need to move boiler pipe going on outside wall is this safe??!

(6 Posts)
als30 Wed 20-May-15 16:08:20

2 weeks time getting old boiler removed and replaced (25+ year old boiler) with a combi boiler need to move it due to sunroom going onto back of house coming off the kitchen where the boiler is at moment I've had a few folk out from different company's one of them was going to need carpet and Lino uplifted in certain rooms to fit a new gas pipe as boiler will be going into a cupboard where the hot water tank is at moment so would be a lot of damage done to quite a few rooms where British Gas said all they need to do is run a pipe from the main box out the front up the wall through the roof and down into cupboard without damaging flooring and walls etc
As far as I know it's running on a outside wall is this safe?
Will it be ok durning the winter months etc and what about vandalism (stealing the pipe for money)

lalalonglegs Wed 20-May-15 16:28:41

Our main gas pipe runs for a few feet up an outside wall - it has for eight years without problems. I believe lots of bendsin a gas pipe can affect pressure though so what sounds a quite complicated route might not be ideal. No doubt PigletJohn will be along soon with definitive advice.

PigletJohn Wed 20-May-15 16:34:35

A pipe laid under the floor will be less likely to damage or interference.

In some districts, copper pipes do get stolen.

If you are having the boiler moved, I expect you will be having some of the water pipes moved as well, so my preference would be to lift the floors.

als30 Tue 26-May-15 08:48:31

Reason why they feel it's best to move it in to the cupboard upstairs is that's where the hot water tank is so there's connections for the new boiler without adding new pipes as the pump for the current boiler is in that cupboard too if that helps any

Superexcited Tue 26-May-15 08:54:31

When we had our boiler replaced we needed a new copper pipe installed. They did think about putting it outside if they couldn't get access under the house (in the void). I didn't want if outside due to risk of damage /theft, fortunately the fitter was a decent guy who also thought but would be better inside and he squeezed himself through the small floor hatch into the void and spent several hours sorting it properly. If if can go inside then it is worth the effort and disruption.

als30 Fri 05-Jun-15 09:38:09

Pipe on outside wall gas pipe leading from gas box through roof then down into cupboard with the flue going out the roof so far things are going well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now