Advanced search

Party Wall Surveyor quote

(8 Posts)
CantStopEatingCheese Wed 20-May-15 14:48:32

Hi all, We need to hire a Party Wall surveyor to serve notices as we are doing some building work on the boundary with the neighbouring property. We have a couple of quotes in the 1200-1800 mark (depending on whether it's a boundary wall or a party wall the quote changes from what I understand). This includes notices for excavation works etc. I don't know whether this is reasonable. We are keen to keep costs down so I was wondering whether this is something that we can do ourselves (serve the notices) or does it need to be done by an actual Party Wall Surveyor? Also does the quote sound reasonable? Or can anyone recommend someone cheaper? We are based in London.

Marmitelover55 Wed 20-May-15 17:34:39

Do you actually need a party wall surveyor? We served the notices ourselves (for a single story kitchen extension) and the neighbour signed without a party wall surveyor. Saved lots of £££ grin

CantStopEatingCheese Wed 20-May-15 17:40:27

Marmitelover55 Yes that's what I was wondering. We were told by the architect that we need one but on reading stuff online I did wonder whether it's actually something we can do ourselves. So was that fairly straightforward to do? Did you just find online formats of letters to use etc? Would it be just in the case of them dissenting to the works that you need to hire someone on their behalf?

Marmitelover55 Wed 20-May-15 17:45:58

Yes that's right. I downloaded the templates from the Internet and filled them in as applicable. Neighbour agreed and signed the agreement after a very long chat and that was that. If he hadn't signed then we would have needed a party wall surveyor.

DayLillie Wed 20-May-15 17:51:08

We did it in 2000, when it was all a new thing.

It cost £360 at the time which seemed daylight robbery.

Surveyor visited the neighbours, explained their rights, surveyed and took photos of the boundary and gave them a copy.

The neighbours were ok about everything from the start as we kept them informed, they were really nice people and there was nothing for them to object to much. So we did not think it necessary.

However, they were really wowed by the surveyor, appreciated that they were valued, as people usually walk all over agreeable people. It was a pittance compared to the building costs and worth a million to keep people who turned out to be the best neighbours I have ever had happy smile

Agrestic Wed 20-May-15 18:11:17

You can do it yourselves. Pop to your council, they will have a booklet explaining everything. Alternatively it'll probably be on the Internet somewhere.

CantStopEatingCheese Wed 20-May-15 20:17:23

Thanks everyone! Will look into doing it ourselves. Every bit of saving helps at this point.

Cakey1971 Thu 21-May-15 21:28:02

A simple domestic party wall procedure such as a rear extension or loft conversion as a 'joint agreed surveyor' is normally on a fixed fee of £625, plus P&P and vat, and includeds notices, 1No vist, to meet both owners, produce a schedule of condition and Award.

Notices can also be done yourself by using the Govement Guide, or you can use say an oline company called Party Wall Direct, which allows you to complete your own online notices.

You can also use if you need quotations from surveyors in your area. I am a member and those that are sent to you are experienced and have the correct insurances etc.

I have some guides on my website to help.

Kind Regards


London - Norfolk - Cambridge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now